Official Review: The Honorable Knight

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Official Review: The Honorable Knight

Post by Georgialouise »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Honorable Knight" by Patrick John Donahoe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Honorable Knight by Patrick John Donahoe is the first historical fantasy novel in The Fellowship of the Ancient Covenant Series. The story starts off with Ian, a young Irish farmer boy who dreams of carrying out a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Along the way, he saves the life of Jacques, the son of a rich noble, who also wishes to travel to Jerusalem. Where Ian longs for the honors of becoming a Knight, Jacques yearns more for personal glory than helping the common folk. After some years, they arrive in Jerusalem as part of the Crusade and soon get promoted to higher ranks.

It is in Jerusalem where they meet Desiree and Serena. Desiree is a Muslim nurse at the local hospital who falls for Ian and Serena is the Jewish daughter of a swordsmith who falls in love with Jacques. Although Ian has feelings for Serena and Jacques for Desiree, creating an uncomfortable love quadrangle. They meet an old Egyptian man who offers them the gift of immortality in exchange for protecting the world from all evils. A deal that they accept happily. In modern days, Ian is a Navy Seal, Jacques is a Mercenary, Desiree works for the CDC and Serena is a Mossad Agent. They must work together to fight off a terrorist attack that is planning on setting off a biological weapon that would kill thousands of people through a deadly virus that causes rapid aging.

The story-line of The Honorable Knight is very interesting and flows smoothly. The novel is very descriptive and I feel that the author went to great depths to investigate both historical events and modern day technology to make this book even more convincing. The jump from ancient Jerusalem to modern day times was a bit drastic, but the reader does not feel lost as the dates are clearly marked and I felt that I was able to carry on with the new story-line easily.

The characters are described very well and the author also made sure to use the different dialects that could be found in ancient times, making them even more convincing. The author gives his characters just enough backstory to help the reader get a general feel for them and I also liked how the reader can grow with the characters as they undergo their own personal changes and challenges throughout the novel.
At times, I would be drawn away from the story due to small typos and editing mistakes that, while they do not affect the flow of the book drastically, do stand out quite a bit. I also found sentences that repeated the same word quite a lot, making the sentence sound quite forced and unnatural. The story itself ends nicely, even though it does have a cliffhanger to continue with the next one in the series.

Overall, I rate The Honorable Knight with 3 out of 4 stars. The story, the plot and the characters were all great and, if it weren’t for the typos and editing issues, I would have rated this book with four stars. There are some violent scenes in the book that are quite descriptive and so I would not recommend it for younger readers or those who do not like violence. Overall, I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys reading historical fantasy and to those who are not put off by a bit of violence.

The Honorable Knight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Georgialouise's review? Post a comment saying so!
Oguns24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oguns24 »

Its a nice topic got good content
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing errors, but it seems like you still enjoyed the story. Sounds like a pretty interesting one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Ian's story sounds interesting. Too bad there were typos.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This is like almost a balanced diet to me, count me in.
Great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Very helpful review to a fantastic book based on a modern story rooted on an old story line. I can't wait to dig in.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't think I've seen an author use different dialects before; that definitely adds to the authenticity of a story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An adventure book revolving around four immortal protagonists sounds exciting. The mix of historical events and modern day technology should make it a great read. It is good that the dates are mark and that the characters are well described. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite editing issues. Thank you and good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

I'm always up for a good adventure and add fantasy and I'm hooked, especially after reading the review. Four people who are offered immortality for protecting the world from evil is definitely they type of storyline I enjoy. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Joe-s19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joe-s19 »

The book is good . The author brought both modern and ancient settings into it
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Thanks for the review. I don't like history, how much less historical fantasy. I don't even really enjoy fantasy. The book talks about giving immortality in exchange for saving the world. Books like this sound unrealistic to me. I wouldn't go for it. You did a great review.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

A fantastic historical fantasy concerning Ian and Jacques who have the mandate of working together to fight off a terrorist attack that is planning on setting off a biological weapon that would kill thousands of people through a deadly virus that causes rapid aging. The storyline is also interesting and flows smoothly.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

I'm glad to see an adventure book on BOTD! Adventures are my favorite and this one sounds interesting with the immortality twist thrown in there. This is definitely something I'll love to read. Thanks for the review 👏😊
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fantasy novel that heralds an exciting new series. I loved reading the book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and congratulations on being selected BOTD.
bellezy17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bellezy17 »

another historic and heroic story that surely gives interests of the many. I like the idea of saving the world. It is realistic for me.Great job!

Return to “Historical Fiction”