Official Review: Los Vuelos del Deseo

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Re: Official Review: Los Vuelos del Deseo

Post by Alice Heritage »

Joy2thenations wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 02:22 I'd like to give this novel a try. I'm a North American living mostly in Honduras for the last seven years. Though I don't consider myself fluent I think I can make it through a book but just haven't tried. It will definitely take me longer to read a book in Spanish than English though. Thank you for your review.
The language is not too hard - it has a flow to it and is often conversational. Hope you enjoy it!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 03:01
Joy2thenations wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 02:22 I'd like to give this novel a try. I'm a North American living mostly in Honduras for the last seven years. Though I don't consider myself fluent I think I can make it through a book but just haven't tried. It will definitely take me longer to read a book in Spanish than English though. Thank you for your review.
The language is not too hard - it has a flow to it and is often conversational. Hope you enjoy it!
Thank you, it's good to know the language isn't too difficult. I will definitely give it a try.
Ellis Cantor
Favorite Book: A Morbid Taste for Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellis-cantor.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ellis Cantor »

Thanks for your careful and intelligent review. But a review in Spanish would be much more useful, since the book seems to exist only in that language. People who don't read Spanish have no need for a review of a book they'll never be able to read.
Alice Heritage
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ellis Cantor wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:42 Thanks for your careful and intelligent review. But a review in Spanish would be much more useful, since the book seems to exist only in that language. People who don't read Spanish have no need for a review of a book they'll never be able to read.
Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum! I don't know, we get the odd book to review in Spanish but this is an English language site. Lots of people can read both languages.
Mod
Lyonncrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyonncrick.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Lyonncrick »

A problem I had with this book was the entire plot about the post office closing and the carrying pigeons. It goes nowhere. Hugo trains the pigeons to reestablish comunication outside of town, which causes conflicts and shuts down the whole operation. What purpose did that plot line served?, the only way I see it affected the main conflict was when Hipolito came to receive his response and saw Ana. What did I missed? :eusa-think:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Lyonncrick wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 01:58 A problem I had with this book was the entire plot about the post office closing and the carrying pigeons. It goes nowhere. Hugo trains the pigeons to reestablish comunication outside of town, which causes conflicts and shuts down the whole operation. What purpose did that plot line served?, the only way I see it affected the main conflict was when Hipolito came to receive his response and saw Ana. What did I missed? :eusa-think:
I know what you mean. I guess magic realism doesn't always follow real-world logic. In general, I think this aspect represents the general insularity of the village.
Mod

Return to “Historical Fiction”