Official Review: Lions and Tigrs and Cong by Theodore Wild

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: Lions and Tigrs and Cong by Theodore Wild

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lions and Tigrs and Cong" by Theodore Wild.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lions and Tigers and Cong is a memoir written by Theodore Wild. Wild writes about his experience as a soldier fighting in the Vietnam War. His story is told through the main character, Jim Reynolds, and takes you through the nightmare that him and the soldiers in his unit endured. These young men, from all over the country, had one thing in common: They were fighting a war that will always haunt them. These strangers bonded with each other, with dark humor, during the many long nights that they spent together in a war zone. This story is filled with the gruesome details of human carnage, poverty, starvation, disease, and fear that these men experienced every single day of their one-year tour in Vietnam.

Wild is very descriptive about the harsh conditions that the men faced as they walked through the jungles, slept in dirt holes, and walked through many foreign villages. This book is written as a timeline of events that Reynolds went through before, during, and after his time in Vietnam. He encounters different personalities, in his unit, who bring humor and sarcasm to his terrifying experiences. Every chapter takes you through the daily interactions between the group of soldiers who were on the ground with Reynolds. You learn about the Vietnam War, different cultures, and the psychological turmoil that these men endured.

This memoir about war stands out from others because Wild creatively includes poetry to expose Reynold’s deep thoughts. This adds raw emotional insight to what he truly felt in addition to what he would let his comrades see. I thought this made the book very enjoyable to read because it added more depth to his character and brought to light the emotional and psychological struggles of war: “Get dirty and bearded; tear clothing; cry in silent rage, frustration, fear, and sadness.” He also includes letters that the men received from family and friends back home, showing the challenges that war brings upon personal relationships.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars because there were many sentences that did not have a space in-between words. There were also spaces left out in-between sentences. This did not interfere with the flow of the book. It was easy to figure out where the spaces should have been. I would have given this book a higher rating if there were no editing errors.

The book is very long and I felt that it could be more enjoyable to read if the book focused on pivotal moments. The story would be just as impactful if some of Reynold's thoughts were edited out. The pace quickly picks up after the first near death incident that transformed the young soldiers into old men, when they quickly learned how to rely on each other and adapt to the conditions of war. The chapters are filled with events that engage you to find out who would survive.

I recommend this book to those who are interested in reading memoirs about war, especially those who want to learn about the Vietnam War. I would not recommend this book to those who are uncomfortable with profanity, racial slurs and are sensitive to very graphic details about death in a war zone.

Lions and Tigrs and Cong
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It sounds "gruesome", just my kind of thing. I wouldn't mind the editing issues as long as it has a good flow.
Thank you for the review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I'm not big into memoirs but I love that this one has poetry interspersed with it! Although I'd be reluctant to take on one that is so long... I really enjoyed your review, thanks :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even though, it's a little on the long side, it sounds like this book is worthy of reading. I think, in general, we don't look at history enough. We like to turn a blind eye to what has gone on. Books like this help us keep these events in the forefront of our minds.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:It sounds "gruesome", just my kind of thing. I wouldn't mind the editing issues as long as it has a good flow.
Thank you for the review
You're welcome!

-- 06 Sep 2017, 08:58 --
Reuben 92 wrote:I'm not big into memoirs but I love that this one has poetry interspersed with it! Although I'd be reluctant to take on one that is so long... I really enjoyed your review, thanks :)
Thanks!

-- 06 Sep 2017, 08:58 --
kandscreeley wrote:We like to turn a blind eye to what has gone on. Books like this help us keep these events in the forefront of our minds.
I agree!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A war hero's memoir... with poetry. Sounds fascinating.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I've just been getting into war memoirs lately. Sounds like a great one!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Sounds an enjoyable read especially being a fan of war novels. I enjoyed reading your review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. By including poetry to expose the character's deep thoughts, the author made the book a little personal. That's good. Too bad about the editing errors, though. Good job on the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

One can only imagine the nightmares these men suffered during those times at Vietnam War if one oneself didn't live them. I think this book isn't for the weak of heart, and I am one of them. Graphic details about war and death is not something I can stand, although I find interesting Wild could use poetry to convey his wild living experiences! Thanks for the thorough review!
Babahaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Babahaji »

:tiphat: this book has historical and the reality about war

Return to “Historical Fiction”