Official Review: "Terror In Manila"

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Official Review: "Terror In Manila"

Post by RegularGuy3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Terror In Manila"" by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frank Q. Aurillo, Jr.'s Terror in Manila is equal parts philosophical exploration and history lesson, with a time-travel adventure thrown in for good measure. All three aspects are equally and effectively compelling.

Nick Aboitiz is a Filipino scientist obsessed with the literal and figurative notions of time and independence. Nick has invented a time machine that he plans to use to free his country from the shackles of its 1946 independence from the United States. If that sounds backwards, well, it's complicated. Nick's internal dialogue and motivations do not always meet even the narrator's approval.

The historical driver is the July 4, 1946 proclamation of independence of the Philippines from the United States. Nick believes this freedom actually confined his country, which in the following decades remained heavily agrarian. If the country only retained the economic opportunities presented by remaining an American territory or state, it could have grown and prospered.

So how to thwart such dreaded freedom? Shoot the messenger. Paul V. McNutt is the commissioner who read the proclamation of independence. Nick's goal is to kill McNutt during his speech. Because this was a unilateral proclamation by the U.S., Nick believes an assassination at just that moment would prove that the Philippines was not ready to go out on its own.

Nick's reluctant partner in historical crime is Francis, a cautious and moral foil to Nick. Francis helps only in building the time machine and trading philosophical punches with Nick.

The time machine uses molecular vibration and mystical philosophy. Basically, Nick gets shaken to the past. But also the Kabbalah. And karma. There is not a science vs. ethereal dichotomy -- they act in concert. It's an interesting exploration.

The time machine has both a manual and an automatic setting. The automatic recall means that Nick must return to the machine within 48 hours, at which point the machine will return home with or without him. The clock is ticking.

The plan: Go back in time. Shoot McNutt during the speech. Get away in the time machine. Enjoy the once-and-future Philippines tethered to the U.S.

Nick's first trip is not grand--48 hours into the past for a banal conversation with Francis's confused sister about Francis's weekend plans.

Almost immediately thereafter, Nick heads straight to July 2, 1946, landing in a barn (not the only Back to the Future-esque scenario) with two days to prep. With a momentous task ahead of him, what does he do? Grabs a drink at a bar. Goes to church. Buys a Time magazine and a copy of H.G. Wells's The Time Machine-because he's a time traveler, see?

Nick ruminates about his plan and his dueling realities in 1946 and his original present. He knows he's a terrorist and rationalizes why that isn't so bad. This part is very interesting, if not altogether comfortable.

Suddenly it's July 4 and the clock is really ticking. The action from there is shockingly fast and over before rumination on the universe comes roaring back. None of the slow burn or meticulous planning of other time-travel fiction. I recently read 11/22/63, and they are thematically similar and compare favorably, but King's work really puts you through the paces.

Time is the central theme throughout and it's not giving anything away to say it plays a crucial role in the outcome.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's a short read at just over 100 pages, and probably could have explored some of the history in a little more depth. But action, while brief, was gripping. As with most time-travel stories there are a few points that you just need to suspend disbelief, but if you were into the previously mentioned King work or even something like the old Quantum Leap TV series, this book is well worth your ... time.

"Terror In Manila"
View: on Bookshelves

Like RegularGuy3's review? Post a comment saying so!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This book sounds really interesting. I'd like to read it for the thrill.
I also like the concept of time-travel though am not sure I'd like the main character.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an intriguing short read. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Konza
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Konza »

This book sounds really interesting, i like the flow and vocabularies used however i think that the people that do not like historical stuff will not enjoyed , i look forward to read the whole book immediately .
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am Filipino and totally interested in reading this book written by a kabayan (fellow countryman). It is no secret that many Filipinos immigrate to the USA for a better life. I have a lot of relatives who are American citizens. What would it have been like had McNutt been assassinated? Maybe I'll be surnamed McMolina!

Stupendous review, RegularGuy3! Or I may just be biased lol!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Terror in Manila has such a strange take on the theme of independence. A Filipino who wants to travel back on time to undue the independence of his country from the United States. I have never heard before that point of view so it might be interesting.

I am half Puerto Rican and half Cuban. Puerto Rico remained a US territory while Cuba fought for its independence. I have always admired the Cubans and the Filipinos for fighting for their independence. Puerto Rico did not have enough support for that and now it does not know how to govern itself. This is why I find the perspective of this book so different.

Thanks for the intriguing review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Independence struggles are always a delightful read. Your review was very encouraging.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Miriam Molina wrote:I am Filipino and totally interested in reading this book written by a kabayan (fellow countryman). It is no secret that many Filipinos immigrate to the USA for a better life. I have a lot of relatives who are American citizens. What would it have been like had McNutt been assassinated? Maybe I'll be surnamed McMolina!

Stupendoaus review, RegularGuy3! Or I may just be biased lol!
You​ made me laugh, McMolina!

Great review RegularGuy
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Alicnim! Thanks for laughing. Just realized I misspelled stupendous. I should have used great. Much easier to spell haha.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

A very enjoyable review, Regular guy, the book sounds great.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

i am currently reading this book. it flow is wonderful. Nick and Francis are really doing their best to make sure independence is not handed over to Philippines. the introduction of time traveling to the story makes it more intriguing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel that incorporates time travel and highlights Philippines and their struggle for independence. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has a unique OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @QaJr and @vantagepress on being the BOTD.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book combining history (of the Philippines) and time travel sounds good! Two men plan to use their time machine to prevent Philippines' independence. Too bad the the history lacked depth, but at least the (short) action was was gripping. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

From all you described, I thought this book would be longer. It sounds like a intresting plot. I am not too keen on time traveling, so I probably won't read it, but I can see others enjoying it.
lari03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lari03.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by lari03 »

Great review. Time travel is a very interesting theme and I would like to read this story now. History is a very important part of our lives, so I do not see a reason to dislike historical works of fiction.

Return to “Historical Fiction”