Official Review: Good-bye Russia, Hello America

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Good-bye Russia, Hello America

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good-bye Russia, Hello America" by Janet S. Kleinman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jacov, Reuven, and their mother Ida leave Russia aboard the steamship Lithuania. They arrive to America, where Ida's two other sons, Nathan and Louis, are waiting for them. The immigration authorities give the brothers new anglicized names. Jacov becomes Jack and Reuven becomes Rubin. The Sidowitz family pursues the American dream. During the 1920s, the Sidowitz family starts a business and expands the family. During the 1930s, their business thrives thanks to contracts with the government. Problem is that the family receives alarming news from Yehuda, the oldest brother, who stayed in Russia. Jews are being persecuted, the Germans and Russians are grabbing land, and there are rumors of war. The United States enters World War II after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. Jack is drafted to serve in Europe as part of a special mission. However, he promises Mama Ida that he will try to find Yehuda in the middle of the war. Will Jack be able to keep his promise?

What I liked the most about Good-bye Russia, Hello America is that it is a beautiful and serious nod to immigration. Janet S. Kleinman, the author, notes that she wrote the book as a nod to immigration because her own family came to America between the two world wars. The theme of immigration is the main point of the book. The Sidowitz family is Jewish and leaves Russia seeking a better and safer life in America. With hard work and determination, they achieve a good life in America.

Kleinman also discusses the theme of Americanization, which is quite important and controversial among immigrants. The immigration authorities gave the main characters new anglicized names, which was a real practice at the time. When I read this part in the book, I felt a deep feeling of understanding and empathy. During the 1940s, my maternal grandfather and his three brothers changed their Spanish names to American names in order to prevent discrimination. My grandfather José Enrique became Henry.

The Sidowitz family did everything they could to belong in America, which I believe is a beautiful thing. They worked hard. They practiced English. They established a successful business. They served their new country during World War II. All of their actions show patriotism. I love that the book demonstrates that immigrants become American patriots. I also love that the book shows that they do it while preserving their own traditions. The Sidowitz family clearly became American, but they kept practicing their Jewish religious and cultural traditions.

As a historian, another thing I enjoyed about Good-bye Russia, Hello America is that it is obvious that the author did a lot of historical research. Kleinman successfully discusses several historical events throughout the story. Examples are immigration to America during the 1920s, the Great Depression, and World War II.

What I liked the least about the book is that sometimes it was difficult to understand who was talking in the dialogues. I had to read twice some parts in order to understand who was talking. I do not think, however, that this is a major problem. As for errors, I only found one, which I think was a printing error.

I rate Good-bye Russia, Hello America 4 out of 4 stars because I think that the author did a wonderful job discussing the themes of immigration and Americanization. She also did an excellent job doing historical research for this historical fiction novel. I would recommend this book to historical fiction aficionados and those interested in reading about immigration to America. Without a doubt, the story demonstrates what it is like for immigrants to pursue the American dream and become Americans while preserving their cultural identity.

Good-bye Russia, Hello America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that the book has the theme of immigration in it. It sounds like this book is an enlightening and educational read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! This seems like a good book based around immigration.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I like history especially when it talks about Jewish people. this book is one of my taste. I like the way you write your review. it gives me hint. Thanks for that. Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a novel full of great themes and interesting characters. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Amagine wrote:I like that the book has the theme of immigration in it. It sounds like this book is an enlightening and educational read.

Great Review! ?
Yes, immigration to the United States is the main theme of the book. :D

Thanks!

-- 29 Aug 2017, 10:43 --
readandsmile wrote:I like history especially when it talks about Jewish people. this book is one of my taste. I like the way you write your review. it gives me hint. Thanks for that. Cheers!
The book mostly discusses how the Sidowitz family, which is Jewish, immigrated to America from Russia to have a better and safer life. It also discusses the atrocities the Nazis committed against the Jewish people during World War II and how the Jewish people started to flee to Palestine to build their own state after the war ended.

Thanks!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I am glad to hear this is well-researched. It sounds like an engrossing read, while dealing sensitively with issues of immigration and cultural identity. Thank you for sharing!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Reuben 92 wrote:I am glad to hear this is well-researched. It sounds like an engrossing read, while dealing sensitively with issues of immigration and cultural identity. Thank you for sharing!
Yes, the author definitely had to do historical research to write this book, particularly about the Great Depression and World War II.

Thanks for reading my review!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html

Post by Reuben 92 »

You are very welcome :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Anglicised names! I never knew such things happened in the US. Reminds me of a foreign volunteer teacher who gave us nicknames in the early 90's. She insisted they were hard to pronounce. Nicely done Yolimari. I enjoyed reading your review.
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

juliusotinyo wrote:Anglicised names! I never knew such things happened in the US. Reminds me of a foreign volunteer teacher who gave us nicknames in the early 90's. She insisted they were hard to pronounce. Nicely done Yolimari. I enjoyed reading your review.
Yes, it sounds awful, but historically it was a practice here in the US. It is not common for it to happen today, meaning immigrants are not made to change their names. However, some people who do not understand different names still try to call one something else. I have been called Mary and Jolee because my name is different. And when I told the person who called me Mary to please not, she got annoyed at me. Your example is another one of those situations.

Thanks for reading my review and your insight!

-Gabriel García Márquez
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I have been called Mary and Jolee because my name is different. And when I told the person who called me Mary to please not, she got annoyed at me.
I can relate, in my community, a lot goes in the naming of a person. I can't say I've not had troubles pronouncing foreign names (South-East Asian names are particularly hard) but I always make the effort. Consider Otinyo which has a deeply personal meaning and unique to my family, then someone names you tiny!? Thanks for sharing.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Job Njoroge »

Major issue I found is that people were still being discriminated hence they had to change their names. It just shows how we humans are the enemies of humans and nothing more
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love historical fiction and books about the jewish people during WWII. I think I will enjoy this book. Thank you for the review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I am a bit fun of historical book. I want to try reading this book. It look like there is a conflict between this two country. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts in here.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Historical Fiction”