Official Review: "Absolutley"

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: "Absolutley"

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Absolutley"" by William Emdee.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Absolutely: An Intriguing Story by William Emdee is a work of realistic fiction. The book is relatively short and could be best described as a novella. It covers the themes of family, the bond between brothers, the highs and lows of romantic love, and the thrill of adventure. I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the characters and the story and I frequently wanted to know what was going to happen next. However, the high number of grammatical errors, typographical errors, and improper word use errors prevented me from giving this book a higher rating.

The story opens with brothers Bill and Terry exploring the North Dakota hills on their dirt bikes. After one of the bike breaks down and the brothers are forced to spend the night outdoors, they discover a long-buried parcel containing an ancient native artifact. This discovery leads the brothers down a path that radically changes both their lives. They meet two brilliant women educated in archaeology and learn about ancient civilizations and their rituals and customs as they discover more about the parcel they found. The brothers’ relationships with the two archaeologists move beyond professional and their feelings grow stronger as they work together to solve the mystery of their discovery.

I enjoyed many aspects of this story. I liked the brothers, Bill and Terry, and felt their bond was honest and sincere. Their adventure in the hills of North Dakota was described vividly and realistically. The romances the brothers develop with the women they meet were both sweet and I wanted them to succeed. I also really liked learning about the artifact Bill and Terry found and its history and the civilization it came from. The archaeology aspects were some of my favorite parts.

Unfortunately, the story had several holes and portions that made no sense. For example, Absolutely: An Intriguing Story appears to take place over the course of about 3 years, but dates are mentioned that range from year 2000 to 2010. The story is also presented linearly, but when months are mentioned, they skip around out of order. There were also dozens of grammatical errors and word use errors. A common error was the use of the word know instead of no and vice versa. The book also contained many typos. More work from the author and a skilled editor could easily clean up this book, but as it is now, it does not appear to be very professional.

I recommend this book to anyone who would enjoy a quick adventure story and isn’t easily turned off by errors. There are no graphic sexual scenes or violence and I wouldn’t hesitate to let younger readers have a look at this book. However, I would warn readers that the holes in the story and the errors may make the book hard to finish, even though the story itself has a lot of merit.

"Absolutley"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Seems 'Absolutely' interesting.
I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite the errors but I don't think I will.
Anyways, thanks for sharing, shelle.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The plot looks very interesting. May be I will give it a try to read the archaeological part in it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

the numerous grammar errors would be a complete turn off for me but the book does sound like it has an interesting storyline.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think the errors would keep me from enjoying this book. Thanks for the good review. It was enjoyable to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It is disappointing when grammar, typos, etc get in the way of a story. It sounds like the other issues, with timing and plot holes, that the author needs to really do a "re-do" to polish this one up.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

With my tight schedule, I would appreciate a quick adventure story. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the review.The plot of the story feels not well grounded given the poor timelines. And the coincidences especially on meeting the archeologists make it unrealistic. I pass, thankyou.
ALSAED
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALSAED »

it worths absolutely
Loccitane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loccitane »

I hope that the author read your review and is sorting out the errors as we speak.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I am intrigue on this book as well. I am sad of the book because it is poorly edited. anyway, thank you very for your thoughts on this book. I learned something upon reading your review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Historical Fiction”