Official Review: The Love You Find by Kandace Elmergreen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Love You Find by Kandace Elmergreen

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Love You Find" by Kandace Elmergreen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Love You Find is Book 2 of a romance trilogy by Kandace Elmergreen.

Growing up on a ranch with older brothers, Mia learned from an early age to not only be a brilliant horsewoman, but to also be stubborn, determined and strong minded as well. Her parents are at a loss as to how to control her and take her to the ranch of her father’s best friend, Like the Wind, in the hope that romance will settle her down a bit. When sparks fly between her and Like the Wind’s sons, a new kind of trouble arises.

The two brothers, Luke and Cliff, both battle for Mia’s attention. Escalating quickly, the tension between the two threatens to tear the family apart, but when Luke is mistaken for Cliff and kidnapped by Mexican bandits, his whole outlook on life changes. Can they rescue Luke in time and can Cliff come clean about his past and earn forgiveness from his family, especially Luke?

Set in both New Mexico and Mexico, the story travels from one extreme to the next in this dashing rescue adventure. Written in third person, the story shows the different characters and the challenges which they have to face. Mia, determined to not be pigeon holed as the weak girl, has to start to come to grips with her feminine side and newly discovered feelings of love. Like the Wind has lost sight of the man he was and, after a spiritual quest, he realizes he has to set his life on the right path again if he is going to be able to rescue his son. Luke and Cliff have both been caught up in the suffocating roles of eldest and middle son with seemingly no way to break the mold or choose their own future.

Of all the characters, I enjoyed the strong female role of Mia the most. I liked how outspoken she was, as well as her development into a woman in love without losing the strong minded aspects of herself, which is sometimes seen in romance novels.

The story covers a lot of ground in its 463 pages, however, at times I felt the pace dragging and the writing somewhat stilted which affected the overall flow of the story. There was also no indication of when in time the book was set. I began with assuming it was set in modern times until a phrase about Mia being unladylike and deciding to wear trousers had everyone in shock, that I realised that this was not the case. It was a bit confusing not being able to pinpoint a time reference, as it would have clarified things early on.

Even though this book is part of a series, it is a stand-alone book in itself. Only slight references are made to the previous book, which followed the story of Like the Wind and Blake, Mia’s father, while this one focuses on the next generation.

Overall I enjoyed this story but due to the slow pace of writing, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Any reader who enjoys romance with a western aspect will like this book. It has it all; action, adventure, kidnapping, horse chases, explosions, lost treasure, deceit, love and redemption all thrown in together, as well as a spiritual animal guide for protection.

The Love You Find
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Sounds like a solid story, I like all the elements you mentioned. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Great review, mico. Too bad that such a nice book has no time reference...Maybe I'll wait around a bit.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I enjoyed the strong female role of Mia the most.

I like to read a book when it comes to a strong role of female. A woman having a strong personality is rare. Beautiful review. Thanks for that. I learn something new. :D
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
emmanuelmba
Currently Reading: Digital Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by emmanuelmba »

Jem Tomarong wrote:I enjoyed the strong female role of Mia the most.

I like to read a book when it comes to a strong role of female. A woman having a strong personality is rare. Beautiful review. Thanks for that. I learn something new. :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good, strong female lead. It's too bad the pace dragged at some points. Thanks for the review. I don't think this one is for me, but I liked your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

when a writer writes about two men who are fighting for the love of one woman, the story line is bound to be interesting. I live that this book has this kind of storyline and other twists and turns. thanks for the good
review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoy historical fiction but haven't read very much westerns in that genre. This one sounds like it might interest me, especially with a strong female lead. I'd also love to know more about the culture behind the spiritual animal guide. I'm assuming that is Native American in origin?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

This definitely sounds like something I'd love to read, but the amount of pages isn't an advantage. I'm afraid the author dragged the story, just like you mentioned, which is such an unnecessary thing. Still, the summary looks promising. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Books in this genre often attract a reading from me. Mia's strong character makes the book even more attractive as the plot moves from Mexico to New Mexico. The review is nicely done.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Two brothers seeking the attention of a single girl? Seems an interesting read.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Historical Fiction”