The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead Review

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead Review

Post by jemgirl202 »

This was my first Colson Whitehead novel and now I feel like I need to just go buy all of his books. Seriously. I even needed some time to collect my thoughts before writing my review because my emotions were everywhere. Whitehead really takes you on a journey. It’s a journey that explores a real horrific time in our history.

The story starts off with Cora, a slave woman on a Georgia plantation. She experiences brutalities, horrors and heartache almost on a day to day basis. Not only that but she is ostracized from the other slaves. One day, another slave asks her to escape with him on the underground railroad.

In a genius twist, instead of routes and safe houses, the underground railroad is an actual underground train. As they go from state to state with hopes of freedom they also discover that there are dangers that lurk even off the plantation. Not only are slave catchers are on their trail, but also the discovery of human sterilization and the realization they are never safe no matter how far they run or even if they gain their freedom.

This book was powerful and raw. I felt that even though I have studied history and read several books about slavery, this book still had something new to say even though these awful events are not new. You have this character who is born into slavery. She is born and immediately perceived as an object, not even human. As time passes, her family is torn from her, killed or sold. Then she endures torture, brutality and rape. When she finally agrees to runaway she is thrust into another world of fear. Even though she travels from state to a state as a runaway slave, she can be picked off the streets at any moment. She is still not free even though she is out of bondage. People still looked down on her just because of the color of her skin. Runaway slaves and freedmen and women could never feel completely free. There was still danger at every turn and at every moment.

One of the main complaints I heard when talking to others about this book was that the reader felt disconnected to the characters, particularly Cora. I believe that Colson Whitehead did this on purpose. He wanted the reader to feel just as disconnected as Cora felt. In doing this, the reader gains a fragment of understanding of the fear and pain inflicted on Cora.

I enjoyed this read but wasn’t easy and it brought out so many emotions. It made me think about how even though it was an awful period of our history...we can never forget about it. We need to keep talking about it and teaching it. If we are going to learn to be better then we need to learn from our history. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

This will be a delightful book to read.
Great review
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Thank you!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thank you for this review! I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and it's clearly worth reading. Sounds like a really important read and one that evokes mamy emotions. Thanks again!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

nice review. the book sounds interesting. it is full of thrill. I enjoyed reading your review. Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Awesome job on the review. If you liked that book about The Underground Railroad I suggest you try The Bregdan Chronicles by Ginny Dye. It's taken place during the civil war and talks about The Underground Railroad.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Sgatev23
Currently Reading: The Interpretation of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgatev23.html
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sgatev23 »

That's a very good, emotional, and positively adjusted review, jemgirl. I somehow couldn't enjoy the book as much as you did, although I really thought I would. There was just something too traditional in the narrative, even (structurally speaking) conservative. Please, see my own review on the book and tell me how much of what I've felt and written corresponds with your own stance on the novel. You can find it here :

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50140&p=765607#p765607

Hope that will introduce the novel in a different, though by no means negative, light.
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

ebethina wrote:Awesome job on the review. If you liked that book about The Underground Railroad I suggest you try The Bregdan Chronicles by Ginny Dye. It's taken place during the civil war and talks about The Underground Railroad.
I am also reading The Bregdan Chronicles! I am on the second book. I agree with you that they are great books to read about that time period.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love historical fiction novels and I feel like this would be a good book for me. Thank you for the review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. This seems like an interesting story that I may need to check out. It's seems like a rough ride, but one worth taking.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Hmmm, you review make me interested to give this book a try. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here even if I don't like underground of anything. Nice review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I am fascinated by the Underground Railroad. This book sounds like a must-read!
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

The Underground Railroad tells the story of a young girl born into Slavery. Life as a slave is all she knows, but she knows her mother ran away and was successful in the attempt. Not many slaves can make their way to freedom. It is very descriptive of her life in slavery. Cora is a strong individual, and she is pursued by a man called Ridgeway a relentless slave hunter who hunted Cora's mother but never caught. So he is determined he will catch Cora. Cora runs into many roadblocks on her hunt for freedom. At times, she settles but must eventually move. The author Whitehead exposed the horrors of slavery and opinions of the populace in this pre-Civil War south. Even when reaching Indiana the fear and prejudice do not stop. The Underground Railroad is a historical fiction that deserves to be read to gain an understanding of black slaves in the Pre-Civil War and obtain a perspective of life in this period.
A_simple_Hamster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by A_simple_Hamster »

Great review! You sound so moved and inspired... If a book can cause so strong emotions it must be amazing and totally worth the reading. I think I'm going to add this book to my to-read bookshelf right now. :tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”