Official Review: The Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: The Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus" by Frank Audrain.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder, betrayal, and the entwining of two cultures against a common evil explode into view in Frank Audrain’s novel, Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus: Book One, Benjamin & Boudica. As Christianity begins to spread across ancient Brittania, two unlikely people unite against the Roman tyranny that has run rampant across the land. Their goal is to not only to fight this tyranny for a day but for the generations to come.

Benjamin is a young Jewish man who becomes spiritually lost after the murder of his wife. Throughout his travels, Ben is taken in by some wise men that teach him all is not lost and there is a purpose for his life that he had never fathomed. As he begins his quest he meets Queen Boudica, queen of the Iceni Celts, who is also reeling from great loss and tragedy. Sparks begin to fly, driving them down a common pathway to defeat their Roman enemy.

Everlasting Spring: Book One is a well-written and fast paced novel. While it falls into the historical fiction category, it thankfully has quite a few elements that are historically accurate, including many of the secondary characters and battles that occur. The lives of the Biblical characters that appear throughout the novel follow their actual time-lines, with the fictional characters going along for the ride during that part of the novel. Although the Biblical characters have a fairly small part in the story, they make a large impact and it was nice to see that they weren’t just thrown in at random. Both Benjamin and Boudica’s characters are interesting and well rounded, even while suffering great tragedy their perseverance is inspiring. I felt as if I were able to connect with their characters and their mission to defeat the Romans. The dialect is easy to read and flows well throughout the entire novel. If there were any grammar or editing errors, they were so minor that I completely read over them.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel with its action, adventure, and enjoyable characters; I couldn’t find much about it that I didn’t like about it as a whole. However, I was a little taken back by the graphic violence that appeared within the first few chapters, not only battle scenes, but also a scene in which a few of the female characters have been raped and their bodies mutilated. While the rape and mutilation occur prior to us meeting those characters, it was still a little hard to stomach. There were also a few sex scenes that go into a lot more detail than I would have expected, because of the characters discovering the Christian faith, I assumed that the novel would follow along the same lines of Christian fiction that I have read in the past. Due to the sex scenes and graphic violence throughout the novel, I definitely wouldn’t recommend this novel for anyone under the age of eighteen.

While I didn’t care much for the violence and graphic nature in some parts of the novel, the novel as a whole is an excellent and worthwhile read. Even though I didn’t care for those few parts in the novel, I still want to give Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus: Book One, Benjamin & Boudica a 4 out of 4 stars. I definitely recommend this novel for mature readers of historical fiction.

The Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Great review! I definitely will love to read the book by myself.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this is my cup of tea with how graphic it is. Still, it sounds like an exciting novel. Thanks for the lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I stay away from books with graphic scenes. Sounds like an interesting plot though. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

First, I love the book cover and second, this one's not for me.
Thanks for sharing, acwoolet. It's awesome
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Mohamed mostafa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mohamed mostafa »

I think it's good
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! Very interesting plot and storyline. May be I will add this one to my reading list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
nizakat sindhi
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nizakat sindhi »

good view at all it looks like a encouraging novel
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

kandscreeley wrote:I don't think this is my cup of tea with how graphic it is. Still, it sounds like an exciting novel. Thanks for the lovely review!
:ditto:

Quite the animated review, nicely done! Thanks for your honesty. I think you nailed the level of detail: enough to get me interested but not too much to slow it down (which is particularly difficult for me to balance). :tiphat:
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Historical narratives are my kind of books but when they dwell much on sex scenes and graphic violence, it becomes problematic for me.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. It may be difficult for me to get past the horrid scenes, but I guess I'll manage :) . Great job on the review. Congratulations to Frank Audrain on such a high rating.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the frank review - this sounds like it is quite a graphic book, however, I am glad to hear that there are many elements of historical accuracy. This shows that the author has done some research.

Return to “Historical Fiction”