Review by normindrasarawi -- Apollo's Raven

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
normindrasarawi
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Review by normindrasarawi -- Apollo's Raven

Post by normindrasarawi » 23 Jul 2017, 07:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Linnea Tanner’s Apollo’s Raven is an enthralling novel filled with magic/sorcery, romance, politics, Intrigue, and betrayal. Plus, an extensive research on the history and mythology of the ancient Celtic and Roman civilization added, making it an exquisite historical fantasy tale.

Apollo’s Raven
begins with Catrin, a Celtic warrior princess who is capable to see the present and future by connecting to the raven’s mind. Her father, King Amren ordered to stop using with her unpredictable and perilous power since he believes it’s a curse to the family – a curse cast by the late former queen. Still, Catrin secretly practiced her mystical ability. While taking complete control over her raven, she saw a foreign army and Marrock, her half-brother banished by her father. Seen Marrock as a threat to their family and kingdom, she has no choice but to reveal her continuous use of magic and tell her father what she had just seen through the raven’s eyes. When she arrived in their kingdom, she went straight in the reception hall where her father was; there, she meets a young Roman, Marcellus, the son of their family’s enemy and to whom she had first fallen in love with.

Despite of their uncertain love with Marcellus, will still Catrin fight for their love? Or will she chooses her own family who betrayed her? Can she break the curse cast by the former queen? Can she stop their kingdom’s downfall? Why did Marrock banish by his father? These were just the questions that will have you turning pages to look for an answer. You cannot put this book down until you find out what will happen next and how it is going to end. Every chapter keeps the tension high and the story moving, which allows the reader to enjoy every moment. Some of the events were such surprising that you might not expect to happen in the plot, and the story gets even more interesting and intriguing. And the best part, it’s not even halfway through the novel.

Tanner created a compelling cast of characters where each has their own story to tell. The connections between the characters are well-crafted and turned into a convincing relationship. Furthermore, the interactions and dialogues were touching, engaging and feel natural that it appears more believable to the reader. Of all characters, Catrin is the most memorable one as she is strong, brave and stands up for what she thinks is right. Unlike any other princesses on other books, Catrin’s character is unique since she wears armor and trained for battle.

What I liked in this novel is the superb narration that it completely grabs my attention from the very first page and keeps me gripped throughout. Somehow, I noticed a few errors, but it’s too minor and doesn’t cause huge disappointment to the reader. On top of these minor errors, I had no other gripe in this book.

The first in the Apollo’s Raven series, this novel is totally unpredictable, captivating and unputdownable. It also entertains anyone Interested in history, mythology, and fantasy. Despite of a cliffhanger end, I still enjoyed everything in this book; it’s worth reading, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I’m also looking forward for the next installment and hoping for another fascinating read.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like normindrasarawi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 01 Sep 2018, 17:07

I read the review of Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner. The novel follows the impossible love affair between Princess Catrin, the youngest daughter of King Amren of the Cantiaci Celtic warriors, and Marcellus, son of the Roman Senator Lucius Antonius. They were having the different views about the opposite states before meeting each other, but after finding themselves they were totally astonished. What happened in their life , it was totally out of their considerations. Father of princess Catrin advised her to investigate the secret conditions of Roman estate and father of Marcellus, who was from Roman Senator cannot allow him to marry a foreigner at any cost. Its strange situation for the lovers of this story. I liked this book, this story is wonderful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”