Official Review: I'll Point to Heaven by Rhett G. Wintch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Official Review: I'll Point to Heaven by Rhett G. Wintch

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'll Point to Heaven" by Rhett G. Wintch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’ll Point To Heaven is a historical fiction written by Rhett G. Wintch. The book introduces us to Charlene, a seventy-two year old woman who is finding it extremely difficult to deal with the sudden death of her husband. She is hurting and in despair. She feels as if it is the end. She turns to her father for help and asks him how he dealt with the death of her mother, his beloved wife. He tells her the story of four young people - Kent, James, Anita and Betty. The story is set in the times of the Great Depression in a small town nestled underneath the majestic spires of the Bryce Canyon National Park. She gets to listen to the story that she has long since wanted to hear. It was the story of her parents - a story about how they grew up, how they met, how they fell in love and how their love endured in times of trials. The story gives her the answers she had been seeking.

The characters possess immense strength and depth. Kent and James are both admirable young men with faults of their own. Kent Wilson is the son of a farmer who is forced to work in the farm due to the Great Depression. His father has to find extra work to make ends meet. Kent goes to school as well, but most of his time is taken up by the farm. At first he feels as if he is forced to do it, but then realizes that he does it because he loves his family. James Davis is not likeable at first. He is always cold and sullen because he is unhappy that his family moved to a rural town from the city. He misses the city life and culture. But he changes under the influence of good friends and shows strength of character and honor.

Betty Griffin is the daughter of Sam Griffin, one of the biggest sheep farmers in town. She loves her family and helps around the farm. She likes doing adventurous things and does not care if it is not something a girl would normally do. Anita Johnson is Kent’s neighbor and family friend. She has her weakness for material things but you learn to like her after a while. She is a caring person and a true friend.

The story stresses on the values of family unity, hard work, courage and integrity. I enjoyed reading it. The book highlights the importance of family values and love. It teaches us that there is always hope. It tells us that there is good in everyone. All you have to do is look for it. The author has succeeded in taking the reader inside the heart and soul of each of the main characters, to feel their hopes, joys, heartache and losses.

The book has been professionally edited. The writing style is engaging and easy to follow. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading a good historical fiction. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I'll Point to Heaven
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ayisha M Ashruf's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

The emotional person in me feels largely inclined to get my hands on this book. Thanks for the review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:

Glad you found the review useful. Hope you enjoy the book as well.
Dorothy Jebet
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Dorothy Jebet »

Historical fiction that is good to read as an inspirational book. Charlene's fathers story makes it possible for Charlene to endure under challenges. The story within a story captures the value and attributes of a family,challenges and how to overcome. The author should fix the cover page to the book so as to give reflection of what's in the book as you read
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy books that take you inside the heart and soul of the characters. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the great review, Ayisha Ashruf. I'll add this to the books I will be reading.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

The book sounds like it's deep, I like the concept of the book - I'd definitely want to get my hands on it.
Kennedy B Rakgati
Currently Reading: Stell blood and fire
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Kennedy B Rakgati »

It sounds like a good book I can't wait to read it n I think it is a book that can change many life of people cause many are going though the same thing. I'll add it to my reading
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:

Thank you for the comments and feedback everyone !
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! The book includes everything family harmony, integrity and hard workmanship. Nice book!
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:

Thank you for the comments and feedback.

-- 04 Aug 2017, 23:58 --

Thank you for the comments and feedback.
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Annette Smith »

Your review made me want to read the book, great work!
But unfortunately after reading the first few pages of the actual book, I realized that it's not for me.
I appreciate the creativity, dedication and guts it takes to write and publish work, but I guess you can't like every book you get the opportunity to read.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

Thanks for the great review! Can't wait to get started on my free copy and fall in love with these characters. Very relieved that you mention it was professionally edited as I abhor the e-book norm of sloppy grammar and spelling. Historical fiction is a genre that I enjoy a lot and I hope the research was done well, I don't see any mention in your review pertaining to this matter.
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

It sounds really interesting. Its the type of story that's bound to bring you to tears, or so i think.
Thanks for the review, great writing.
Amunala
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amunala.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Amunala »

A historical fiction book about love, courage, faith and family. Sounds epic.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Historical Fiction”