Official Review: I'll Point to Heaven by Rhett G. Wintch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: I'll Point to Heaven by Rhett G. Wintch

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds so sweet. It's hard to pass up a good "how-dad-met-mom" kind of story, even during a time as troubling as the Great Depression. I'm a sucker for good historical fiction, too. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an interesting historical fiction book depicting the importance of family relationships, love and hope.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I'll read a couple chapters of the book before making a final decision on whether I'll be finishing it or not. I like the main concept of the story, though. It seems like an interesting story about family, unity, and a love that lasts forever. We'll see. Regardless, thank you for the review.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Sounds like a truly good book to read given that you saw it fit to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I'll get around to read it.
MA
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

The synopsis on Amazon was heavy on the religious aspects, but your review did not mention that so I'm wondering if it is overtly religious. I do love historical fiction and it sounds like a great story. It would be a shame to have to pass it up because of it being religious, as I do not read books marked as religion/spirituality. I do thank you for your insight on the book.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

How strong is the religious theme in this book? The title gives me a lot of pause. Your review doesn’t seem to touch on that theme, though, so I’m wondering if perhaps it’s not bad enough to keep me from reading.
Nique1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nique1 »

Always love your significant other you never know when the last day is. :(
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I imagine the losing your husband of many years would be quite lonely when you are 72. I am curious how her parents love-story will help her to deal with the loss of her husband.
Nique1

Post by Nique1 »

I know right he has lived his life will she move on or take Care of her dad?
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review, Ayisha! This book sounds like it has a lot of depth in character development, and some valuable themes around family values, integrity, and dealing with loss. I don't generally read historical fiction, but I will give any genre a try if done particularly well.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This is not a genre I read so I wil pass. Thanks for the great review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Am sure the husband of the seventy-two-year-old woman will be about 75. It interests me to know the worry this woman expressed on the death of her husband at that age. I can see this is a long story. Thanks for the review.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Great review! I was interested in reading this book after I read the brief review on Amazon. Getting just a small glimpse of the characters and events inside the book, I knew that I would be adding this book to my "want to read" shelf.

After reading your review, I was able to make a connection to the characters. You were able to bring the characters to life using descriptive words that allowed me to get a feel of each character as well as the events that each one experienced. Sometimes a few illustrative words placed in the right spot can achieve more than a lot of useless words that does not personify the characters. Your review is full of detailed information that allows the reader to make a connection to the characters as well as the events in their lives. This is definitely a book that I will be reading very soon.
LeaNyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanyathi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LeaNyathi »

This sounds like a book that most people could relate to. I am excited to get my hands on it. Thank you for the review.
Itzken

Post by Itzken »

I was so touch by the book. I like the way the author conveyed the message, the need for family to live in harmony and unity.

Return to “Historical Fiction”