Review by TJ de Ocampo -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TJ de Ocampo
Currently Reading: Fire in the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tj-de-ocampo.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by TJ de Ocampo -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“...how is it possible you're an exile, exile everywhere, exile is my home, the years didn't subdue the pain, son, you'll see, you will always be an exile, exiled from exile,...” is perhaps the line which best solidifies the soul of Keys to Tetouan, a historical fiction novel by Moroccan-Israeli writer Mois Benarroch. Penned by a poet, it is no surprise that the narrative follows a nonlinear, experimental, and what the novel itself describes, "post-post modern" format. It is a farrago of letters, interviews, anecdotes, unimagined (and imagined) dialogues concerning the Benzimra family, a Moroccan-Jewish clan that's supposedly been everywhere in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

Unconventional in style and construction, it is very easy for the reader to get lost in its paragraphs and to understand very little of what's happening in and among its hodgepodge of characters. It is ambiguous, vague, often indecipherable, and yet the author does not seem to prioritize clarity or reader comprehension. When dealing with the concept of home—which at one point is argued as the source of one's identity, and at another, as something completely unrelated—the author is unapologetically confusing, inconcise and almost rude. And yet, as I write about it now, I feel it's precisely this rudeness which makes the book so offensively beautiful. Let me attempt to clarify:

Primarily Benarroch reexamines the concept of a promised land, an ideal of which he asks: "Is it truly attainable?" And he further agonizes, "If so, where is it?" Narrating the experiences and memories of the Benzimra family of Tetouan, Morocco, he juxtaposes their past with the identities they now needed to refashion in order to live in Europe and Jerusalem. He raises the questions "Who am I?" which in itself is a question of "Who are we?" and ultimately, "Who am I in relation to others?" The answers are perplexing, flooded with contradiction, and yet the author seems to be concluding: perhaps this is all that we really are—a people full of irony. "Perhaps," the author might be saying, "we Jewish people are really just wanderers in the wilderness, merely passing through."

The passages, the interviews, the anecdotes, all of these are written like fragments of a lost identity. And the book is a stream of consciousness, the thoughts of a man preoccupied with picking up these shards and arranging them into a mosaic—an attempt to depict that which is elusive. As one of the characters in the story soliloquizes, "I'll write down the lie, and maybe that lie I write about you and me will enable some truth to flourish, some kind of understanding, maybe I'll find a few more pieces of the mosaic.”

Intentionally written like a surge of memories, it is hazy, ambiguous, imperfect, and yet sentimental. It is at once poetic and meditative, reminiscent of Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground and Gao Xingjian's Soul Mountain. It is a recommended read for anyone looking for work that is unafraid to be raw, with edges that cut to the heart. I give Mois Benarroch's Keys to Tetouan a 4 out of 4.

Keys to Tetouan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like TJ de Ocampo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am mesmerized by your review. Not everyone will appreciate Benarroch's writing; many, like myself, will even avoid it. But I recognize the passion that burns in his heart. It's the heart of a wanderer who will always be searching for a home.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Wow, I mean wow Ocampo. This is the best description of this book I've seen so far. A book i gave up reading halfway through. After "Gates to Tangier" I had an interest to this author but was put off with piece, nice to see you braved the incomprehensible pages to come up with this review, am impressed.
TJ de Ocampo

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

Miriam Molina wrote:I am mesmerized by your review. Not everyone will appreciate Benarroch's writing; many, like myself, will even avoid it. But I recognize the passion that burns in his heart. It's the heart of a wanderer who will always be searching for a home.
Thanks for the kind words Miriam! Yes, definitely a wanderer. His work does take one to places.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Admirable review . Book seems interesting one to read . I'll read it soon
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Francisca340
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Francisca340 »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Admirable review . Books seems interesting one to read . I'll read it soon
TJ de Ocampo

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

juliusotinyo wrote:Wow, I mean wow Ocampo. This is the best description of this book I've seen so far. A book i gave up reading halfway through. After "Gates to Tangier" I had an interest to this author but was put off with piece, nice to see you braved the incomprehensible pages to come up with this review, am impressed.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. Yes, I agree, it's really a curious book. It took a while for me to sum up my thoughts about it, but in the end I felt that it deserved my praises.

Thank you also for the kind words!

-- 28 Jul 2017, 07:26 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Admirable review . Book seems interesting one to read . I'll read it soon
Thank you for reading! :tiphat:
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

Great review you have there Ocampo. Find reading the book so difficult, was contemplating giving up reading the book, but your review is really encouraging.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”