Official Review: A Mother's Song by Cleo Lampos

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: A Mother's Song by Cleo Lampos

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mother's Song" by Cleo Lampos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Mother’s Song by Cleo A. Lampos is a story about motherhood and sacrifice, and the meaning of faith and family in times of tremendous difficulty. The story follows two generations – an Irish mother named Dierdre, and her young children, Patrick, Ava Rose, and newborn Joseph. It is a beautifully written, and at times heartbreaking, work of historical fiction, and the detail in the story is well-researched and authentic.

Dierdre and her family, having immigrated from Ireland to New York City in the 1890s, are in an impossible situation. Paying work is hard to come by, the conditions are horrific, and the family struggles to scrounge together their rent and just enough food to survive. When Dierdre discovers she is pregnant with their third child, the situation grows even more desperate. Shortly after the birth of the baby, a sudden family tragedy triggers a cascade of misfortune that forces Dierdre to make the most difficult choice of all – to give up her children in order to save them from death by starvation or a life on the streets.

We follow the two youngest children, Ava Rose and Joseph, as they travel to the prairie states on the Orphan Train, hoping to be adopted into a loving family. As they find a home with their new family, we see the impact of Dierdre’s decision on her children’s lives, both in the immediate and in the long-term. We also learn about the woman who becomes the children’s adoptive mother, and the choices that lead her to filling the role that Dierdre was not able to fill.

One common thread that links the characters in this story is their strong and unwavering faith in the Christian God, and their reliance on their faith during times of trouble. Without the strength that each of them receives through prayer, the characters would not be able to face the anguish they must endure. There are many Bible verses woven through the text, and many of the characters engage in direct discussion about the Lord and his guidance in their lives. This did not bother me, but I can see how it may seem a bit heavy-handed to a reader who is not prepared for this.

This was a strongly-written and emotionally impactful book, however I have given it a 3 out of 4 star rating because the first and second half of the novel felt a bit imbalanced to me. The first half, where we meet Dierdre and follow her heart-wrenching journey and decision to send her children away, was impeccably written. It was so raw, so emotional, and so realistic, that at times I had to put the book down just to recover the emotional strength I needed to continue. The second half of the book takes place approximately 20 years later, and in my opinion, loses some of its focus and emotional gravity. We are introduced to some new characters and the entire feel of the book changes. Whereas the first half focuses on the meaning of motherhood and sacrifice, the second half takes on a larger sociopolitical message. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but after the emotional roller-coaster of the first half, the change in topic was a bit disorienting. It is temporary however; the ending brings the focus back to motherhood, love, and reliance on God’s guidance, and rounds out the story nicely, tying up loose ends in a satisfying way.

I believe this is a book that can be enjoyed by readers who appreciate well-researched and realistic historical fiction, and are interested in the plight of Irish-American immigrants who came and settled in New York City’s working class neighborhoods. It is also a book that will resonate well with readers of Christian fiction, as it has a strong Bible-centered message throughout. Finally, this is a book that will tug at the heartstrings of any parent who reads it, and serves as an excellent reminder to all of us to hug our children a little closer.

A Mother's Song
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
beatriceanyango
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by beatriceanyango »

its always good to be there for your children as a mother.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That really does sound quite intriguing especially the first half. It's too bad the second half isn't quite as powerful. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mary waithera
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by mary waithera »

its of important to me especial on its emphasis -sociopolitical life and the power of a christian life mainly Faith
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Often times, because of our ease and relative prosperity, we sometimes forget that life could be difficult and must have been so for us at some time in the past. A mother's love by Cleo Lampos, so well captioned is reminiscent of these dark days: when darkness abounds and nothing makes sense.
Thanks for the review,bluegreenmarina.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Historical Fiction”