Official Review: Where Rowans Intertwine by Margaret Grant

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: Where Rowans Intertwine by Margaret Grant

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Rowans Intertwine" by Margaret Grant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where Rowans Intertwine by Margaret Grant is a historical fiction novel set on the Roman-occupied island of Mona circa 230 A.D.; themes of cultural assimilation, prejudice, reconciliation and spiritual maturity are a sample of the themes explored in the story.

After the death of Nanw, the tribal priestess of the Celwri, her granddaughter and acolyte, Ceridwen, accepts the responsibility of becoming the new priestess and healer. The Celts and the Roman settlers live under the Pax Romana, enforced by encamped legions who trade with the tribes; Ceridwen stokes hostile feelings toward them by refusing to forget that the Romans massacred the Druids of Mona two hundred years before her time. However, she realises that her prejudiced attitude interferes with her spiritual and healing work, and to attempt resolution between their cultures, she decides to wed Marcus, the Roman army surgeon, at her first Beltane as presiding priestess. With the support of Marcus and her tribe, Ceridwen begins to change her bigoted views and heal from bygone battles. As she matures into her roles as priestess, mother and wife, she is better able to guide the Celwri when the rogue former chief, Eithig, threatens the stability of Celtic farmstead and Roman fort alike.

Where Rowans Intertwine is an immersive novel; the author evoked time, place and mingling cultures while balancing the main themes, symbolism, spirituality and love. Historical research along with Grant’s personal experience with nature spirituality and the island indeed intertwined and transported me to the Welsh island Anglesey at the time around 230 A.D. From the list of characters to the informative epilogue, Grant engaged me with the narrative. What I admired most was that the author developed everything of importance to Ceridwen but never heavily emphasized only one aspect of her life. As the novel is in third person, we see both Celtic and Roman perspectives. Ceridwen is a very relatable round character; she has strengths, flaws and vulnerabilities, not to mention wit. My favourite quote is her observation that Eithig “smells of sweat and vainglory”.

Grant even-handedly included beauty and brutality in the novel. Violence and death contrasts with Ceridwen’s peaceful union with nature and the otherworld of her ancient spirituality. Given that Ceridwen is an intelligent woman, her relationship with Marcus is understandably cerebral and political as well as loving. The romance is important, but does not overwhelm the story. The writing is rich with symbolism and archaic Brythonic words to lend authenticity to the dialogue.

There aren’t many problems with Where Rowans Intertwine. Another round of editing would have taken care of the comma problem – they were often in the wrong part of sentences, which made the read slightly choppy. The layout of the book was professional, but since I think the writing needed rounding off before publication, I’m rating Where Rowans Intertwine 3 out of 4 stars. I wholeheartedly recommend this novel to historical fiction enthusiasts, history buffs and readers who appreciate a well-rounded, likeable set of characters.

Where Rowans Intertwine
View: on Bookshelves

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Thanks! I find myself interested in historical fiction like I never did before and this review is a perfect guide for a newbie like me. If the book manages to depict the atmosphere of old times, I can wholeheartedly enjoy the read. Most enticing part for me is archaic Gaelic words and the brutality, as you say. For these aspects are most powerful to set you back into the past. I'll give it a try!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like an interesting story. I'm not entirely sure if it's for me, but I'll check it out. I like that there is a strong female character and that you say reading the book is like being transported in time. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's awfully hard to get that balance between beauty and brutality. It sounds like this author does a good job. I appreciate the review! I'm not sure about the book yet. I'll have to think about it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

It always sucks when you have to give an otherwise good book a lower score than you wanted because of poor editing. Great review. You painted a really vivid picture of the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”