Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 24 Jun 2017, 05:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arlington Anthology" by Ron MacDonald.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald consists of more than a hundred accounts of people who are buried at the Arlington National Cemetery. These accounts ranged from presidents, literary figures, astronauts, soldiers, nurses, slaves, civilians, and many more. The people of these accounts come from as far back as the Revolutionary War to the present day. Some of these stories were based on eyewitness or historical accounts, while other stories were told from their own words. Each chapter in the book tells the story of how each person came to be buried at the cemetery.

Since the book is told in the perspective of a different person in each chapter, there isn't a main storyline. The content of this book is very sobering which makes sense because it is a book about war. The author does a good job in describing the effects war can have on a person both during and after it. The author not only includes wars that date back to the eighteenth century, but also describes the different roles of how each person ended up in the cemetery.

This book not only talked about the lives of soldiers, but it also talked about people who personally knew famous people like Abraham Lincoln. There was an account of a person who served twelve presidents in his life. There were also a variety of stories from soldiers from the Revolutionary War to the Iraq War who were given medals like the Silver Star and the Medal of Honor. There were a lot of stories in this book, but there were a few that popped out to me. For example, there was a soldier, who became a baseball player after he served in the army, that was mistakenly named as the inventor of baseball.

I often had to reread a couple of sentences because of the amount of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes that I came across. Even though this book talked a lot about war, the war scenes weren't too graphic. However, I had to read this book in short periods of time because some of the material took time to digest. While I was reading this book, I would often read that out of hundreds of soldiers who went into a battle only a couple of them came out alive. This was pretty shocking to read. The atrocities of war were depicted realistically in this book, and I teared up a lot after reading a couple of heartbreaking accounts of these brave men and women.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Although I enjoyed reading each of the stories, there were numerous grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, so I often had to reread sentences to understand what I was reading. After reading this book, I gained a better understanding of the sacrifices that brave men and women had to make. I recommend this book to those who like to read historical fiction novels, especially novels about war.

Arlington Anthology
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Contiguity" by Charles E. Jones
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 130%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald

Post Number:#2 by Lloyd west
» 07 Jul 2017, 10:16

What i opening to see how does persons recover from the war and the restoration of life, the preventative measures against future wars. over all is was good job.
Lloyd west

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 07 Jul 2017, 10:24

Wow! Sounds like a really good book. It's too bad about all the mistakes, but hopefully they can be corrected in another round of editing. I love the fact that there are a whole bunch of stories from all the people buried there. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Broadway Dream" by Jane Hill
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 82 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 65%

Post Number:#4 by ZenaLei7
» 07 Jul 2017, 10:32

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! Sounds like a really good book. It's too bad about all the mistakes, but hopefully they can be corrected in another round of editing. I love the fact that there are a whole bunch of stories from all the people buried there. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by michle
» 07 Jul 2017, 20:14

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lloyd west wrote:What i opening to see how does persons recover from the war and the restoration of life, the preventative measures against future wars. over all is was good job.
michle

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#6 by BestReviews
» 08 Jul 2017, 22:58

OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.
BestReviews
BestReviews

Favorite Book: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Post Number:#7 by ZenaLei7
» 09 Jul 2017, 00:03

BestReviews wrote:OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by BestReviews
» 09 Jul 2017, 00:25

ZenaLei7 wrote:
BestReviews wrote:OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.

Thanks for reading!

You are welcome ZenaLei7
BestReviews
BestReviews

Favorite Book: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Post Number:#9 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 09 Jul 2017, 04:52

A book with different perspectives all tied together by the theme of how war affects us. Sounds like a deep book. Thank you for the review.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#10 by ZenaLei7
» 09 Jul 2017, 11:06

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:A book with different perspectives all tied together by the theme of how war affects us. Sounds like a deep book. Thank you for the review.

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Ndayisabayamado3
» 11 Jul 2017, 08:52

I was interesting but the story is war and cemetery , :( something i get afraid of , so it is a good book of historical fiction
.So i recommend it to students to learn more about world famous history.
Ndayisabayamado3

Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15 books
Goal Completion: 0%