Official Review: The Swan Garden by Anne Biggs

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: The Swan Garden by Anne Biggs

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Swan Garden" by Anne Biggs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Swan Garden by Anne Biggs is a historical fiction novel about one unmarried mother’s fate in Ireland’s notorious Magdalene Laundry system. The author explores themes of the Church’s patriarchal power, the remediation of myth into contemporary storytelling and the systematic abuse of women in this spare and haunting narrative. The story is a tribute to all the women and children victimised in Magdalene Laundries throughout the years of their operation; this is a story that needed to be told.

In 1949, fourteen-year-old Alice Brennan falls pregnant after a vagrant raped her. With the fear of scandal foremost on his mind, her father agrees with the parish priest to send Alice to the mother-baby home in Castlepollard to give birth. The supervising Sisters force these unwed mothers, called penitents, to work like slaves to atone for their “sins”. A week after she gives birth, the Castlepollard home transfers Alice to a Magdalene Laundry in Dublin because her father refuses to pay for her release. Her newborn, Finnuala, is sent to an unknown orphanage in the city. The conditions at the Laundry are appalling, filled as it is with masochistic wardens who brutalise the women in their care. With fellow penitent Sara, Alice plans a successful escape, after which she settles in Howth, a small town near Dublin. Determined to lead a normal life, she marries Aidan, a policeman, with whom she has three daughters. The novel then follows Alice’s life after her ordeal at the Laundry; she keeps her years there a secret as she raises her children in wedded contentment. However, she never forgets her firstborn, Finn, and attempts to find her, although the Dublin Laundry and the nuns at the mother-baby home in Castlepollard refuse to help Alice make headway in her search.

The Swan Garden is an unforgettable, beautiful novel. Strong symbolism referenced from The Children of Lir legend bound the story together from beginning to end; Biggs includes the legend as an epilogue, and once I read it, her novel gained another layer of meaning and poignancy. The pace flies through Alice’s life, but manages to focus on and develop important trials and milestones. The narrative alternates between raw emotion and distance, but it never slips into melodrama. The Swan Garden lingered in my mind long after I turned the last page.

What impresses me about the author’s writing is her ability to open the story world without ornamentation, and that the symbolism carried the narrative so adeptly. Readers who have an interest in myths and legends worked into present-day narratives would appreciate The Swan Garden novel for this feature.

There was nothing wrong with the layout of the book, but I noticed some spelling mistakes and commas placed where they should not have been, but because the story is so riveting, these niggles didn’t distract me much, but I took them into account, which is why I reluctantly rate The Swan Garden 3 out of 4 stars. If not for these editing problems, I would have given it a full 4. I recommend it to every reader who appreciates fine storytelling, not only those who are fans of historical fiction.

The Swan Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like an interesting story but a bit sad where women are treated as slaves. I will read this book and i know that the errors in it will not deter me. Nice review.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:This sounds like an interesting story but a bit sad where women are treated as slaves. I will read this book and i know that the errors in it will not deter me. Nice review.

Thank you! This novel is definitely time well spent reading :reading-5:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. Sounds like this book addresses some serious issues. I'll have to look closer at this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

This sounds like a story with depth. It's eye opening to read about the ordeals people face in their lives. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

This sounds like quite a difficult read, emotionally, but well worth it. The words spare and haunting say it all. Not everyone is aware of the Magdalene laundries and the author clearly wants to tell the stories that otherwise wouldn't be heard. Thanks for another great review - you really take your time over them and deliver quality content. I appreciate it!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great and touching story. As a mother, I think I'm going to love this book. Too bad, though, about the error. Great job on the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”