Review by AYISHA_ASH -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Review by AYISHA_ASH -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by AYISHA_ASH » 10 Jun 2017, 07:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven is an insightful historical novel from author Linnea Tanner. It gives us much detail about the lives of the Celtic kings and queens. Catrin is a Celtic princess and spirit warrior, who becomes entangled in a treacherous web of lies, betrayal and a terrible curse cast by the former queen.

“ The gods demand the scales be balanced for the life you take. If you deny my soul's journey to the Otherworld by beheading me, I curse you to do the same as mine. I prophesize your future queen will beget a daughter who will rise as a Raven and join your son, Blood Wolf, and a mighty empire to overtake your kingdom and to execute my curse.”

She either prevents the downfall of her father, king Amren and her people or becomes the cause of it.
Catrin falls in love with Marcellus, the son of the Roman ambassador. This forbidden love sets off a chain of events that not only jeopardises the fate of her life, but also of her people. It seems that she has to choose between her people and the man she has fallen in love with.

The story is mainly told from Catrin’s point of view. Catrin is strong yet vulnerable who has not completely come to terms with her powers as a druidess. She finds herself attracted to Marcellus and tries to deny her feelings for him. Some parts of the story are told from Marcellus point of view.

I loved it that Celtic women are trained in battle and plays a major role in political discussions. This is in contrast to the Romans, who do not believe women should have an active role in politics. Marcellus’ father, Senator Lucius Antonius, is outraged at having to discuss political matters with a woman.

It is evident that the author has done a lot of research for the book. The Celtic culture and Roman military structure has been portrayed in great detail. The plot is imaginative, and the author has succeeded in bringing to life an ancient pagan tradition. I found it to be particularly fascinating. The romance between Catrin and Marcellus is a bit cliched - will their love hold in the face of the potential war? But I guess it works well with the story. I found the book to be highly intriguing and rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Eagerly waiting for the next book in the series.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AYISHA_ASH's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Sharon2056 » 01 Mar 2018, 10:14

Great review, will definitely read the book!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 01 Sep 2018, 16:57

I read the review of Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner. The novel follows the impossible love affair between Princess Catrin, the youngest daughter of King Amren of the Cantiaci Celtic warriors, and Marcellus, son of the Roman Senator Lucius Antonius. They were having the different views about the opposite states before meeting each other, but after finding themselves they were totally astonished. What happened in their life , it was totally out of their considerations. Father of princess Catrin advised her to investigate the secret conditions of Roman estate and father of Marcellus, who was from Roman Senator cannot allow him to marry a foreigner at any cost. Its strange situation for the lovers of this story. I liked this book, this story is wonderful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”