Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: By What is Sure to Follow

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: By What is Sure to Follow

Post Number:#1 by micoleon13
» 04 Jun 2017, 13:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "By What is Sure to Follow" by Donald N. Burton.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by micoleon13
Share This Review

By What is Sure to Follow is an historical fiction novel by Donald N. Burton. Set mainly during the Vietnam War, it uses a mix of both fiction and true events to portray the story.

Luke is just an average college student from California whose whole focus in life so far revolves around women. When he drops out of a college class due to its lack of female participants, he unexpectedly receives his draft notice. Feeling that he has lost control of his life, he refuses to become another faceless number of the war and volunteers to become a Marine.

What follows is Luke’s journey through Marine training and his tour of duty “in-country”. Like so many other young soldiers thrown into war Luke must adapt quickly to his extreme surroundings, but will he lose himself in the process?

This story is certainly an emotional roller-coaster as it touches on some very serious topics associated with war. Written in third person, with Luke as the main character, the reader is able to have an insight into the complete emotional and mental upheaval Luke has to go through from carefree student to hardened Marine. The secondary characters of his unit buddies help illustrate the incredible camaraderie and trust that these soldiers need to have as they place their survival in each other’s hands.

Obviously, as this is a story about war, there is some very graphic imagery of death and killing people, as well as bringing up the subject of the soldiers’ collection of souvenirs from the enemy. While horrific, it also helps to portray the complete separation from reality and normal laws that these soldiers face, where the terrible becomes mundane for these men dealing with death every day.

Although there were quite a few spelling mistakes the story was fast paced and gripping. The story starts and finishes in the present day, however, the majority of the story is set during the war as Luke remembers his time there. This way of breaking up the past and present helped to touch on the subject of PTSD and the traumatic effect it can have on soldiers for decades after active service and cause them to struggle with reality.

I’ve read several books on the Vietnam War and this one had an even more realistic side to it than others as the author was obviously writing from his own experiences. This helped even more with the portrayal of the stark realities of war.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the spelling mistakes, although I would rate it 3 ½ if I could. It’s an incredibly gripping story which the author should be congratulated on for its brave telling. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the realities of the Vietnam War or know someone suffering from PTSD. A very emotional read.

By What is Sure to Follow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
micoleon13's Latest Review: "The Chipmunk Murders" by Rick Matkin
micoleon13

Currently Reading: Hidden
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: By What is Sure to Follow

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 08 Jun 2017, 11:46

Wow. It sounds like the author did a great job on this one. From your summary of the plot, it sounds very realistic. It's too bad about the mistakes, but it sounds worth the read any way. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 115 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 96%

Post Number:#3 by Tansd
» 09 Jun 2017, 01:32

Feel ok by reading
Tansd

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#4 by Jaime Lync
» 09 Jun 2017, 08:37

I like that you mention that this book has a realistic appeal - I dig that. Great review.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 491%

Post Number:#5 by micoleon13
» 09 Jun 2017, 11:39

Thanks. It's definitely one of those books that you find yourself constantly thinking back on
micoleon13's Latest Review: "The Chipmunk Murders" by Rick Matkin
micoleon13

Currently Reading: Hidden
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 12 Jun 2017, 13:21

I'm glad the author was really able to capture the emotional experiences in Luke's life. I'm glad you liked this one so much. Definitely sounds thought provoking.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 204 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 392%

Post Number:#7 by Amagine
» 12 Jun 2017, 18:47

I like the fact that it is a war story that is written by an author who has experiences with war. It makes the story more authentic.

Great Review! 💚
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Currently Reading: Love and Fat-Free Cheese
Bookshelf Size: 715 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#8 by Rosemary Okoko
» 15 Jun 2017, 10:12

The book gives us an insight into what marines go through. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "Ironclad Clay Part 2" by Mark Wright
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 183%

Post Number:#9 by Ayegbami Habeeb
» 03 Jul 2017, 19:53

It really interesting than I thought
Ayegbami Habeeb

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#10 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 09 Jul 2017, 05:00

I am interested in this book, a favourite song of mine "I can't write left handed" by Bill Withers first got me interested on the topic of the Vietnamese war. I've watched a couple of movies but have never read a book about it. Thank you for your helpful book review.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Emma Beware" by Michelle A. Iden
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 130%

Post Number:#11 by ebethina
» 19 Jul 2017, 19:48

Sounds like a good book, thanks for sharing
ebethina