Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: For All the Carols Out There

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: For All the Carols Out There

Post Number:#1 by kimmyschemy06
» 07 May 2017, 04:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For All the Carols Out There" by Karyl Maier.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by kimmyschemy06
Share This Review

For All The Carols Out There is a poignant and memorable book about a girl named Carol written by Karyl Maier, M. Ed..

With a foreword by Cindy Locher, BCH, the book begins with the birth of Carol, an event not viewed enthusiastically by Carol’s father, Golden Boy, who is expecting a son to inherit the family business. Consequently, Carol suffers prejudice simply for being a girl in addition to neglect by her parents who are both busy making money.

Due to the physical, emotional and psychological abuse Carol has to endure especially from her father, she develops stuttering which makes her a target for bullies. She also develops very low self-esteem and finds it difficult to understand the lessons in school. Luckily for Carol, there are few people who believe in her and in what she can do. These few people, her twelve year old baby sitter, the wealthy woman who lived in a hotel and her sixth grade teacher, are enough to encourage Carol and make her believe she can be what she wants to be if she works hard enough.

Told in the third person perspective and in chronological order, except for back stories of characters in Carol’s life, the book is a touching tale of a woman who desperately wants to belong and to be loved. It depicts the painful truth about discrimination between male and female offspring and the unfair treatment of individuals who are viewed as different like left-handed people and people who stutter. Moreover, the book shows how the kindness and affection of a few people, relatives or not, can make a difference to a young person’s life. Finally, the story gives emphasis on determination as a key in achieving anything a person aspires for.

This is basically a memorable and touching book. The depiction of neglect, discrimination and prejudice suffered by Carol stirs the emotion and invokes the ire of readers toward neglectful and biased parents. The story is well written as it vividly describes not only the settings but also the emotions of characters. The author successfully creates admirable character in Carol, the brave protagonist who refuses to be discouraged but instead proves other people wrong including her father, the high school counselor and the president of the state college.

However, though I found Carol to be courageous and tough, I also found her too naïve. She was too trusting for my taste, which probably made her human and relatable to other readers. Moreover, I found the ending a little abrupt. Though the ending was somehow predictable, the manner of how the book ended was short and unelaborate, thus anticlimactic.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is touching, inspiring and encouraging. It is well written as well as well-referenced as the author inserted the hyperlinks of articles she included in the book. I recommend it, especially, to parents and teachers and everyone who works with children, and to readers who enjoy stories about life, trials and adversity.

For All the Carols Out There
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Myth and Punishment" by Anoop Chandola
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Seasons Change So Can You
Bookshelf Size: 378 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 126%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: For All the Carols Out There

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 13 Jun 2017, 14:24

Sounds pretty interesting. I'm wondering if the author based this on someone he knew? Just musing aloud. Even with the abrupt ending, it sounds like you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 114 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 95%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 13 Jun 2017, 14:41

I was thinking the same thing... I wonder if this is based on true events? It's too bad the ending was unsatisfying; it sounds like an emotional read otherwise.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 203 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 392%

Post Number:#4 by kimmyschemy06
» 14 Jun 2017, 23:06

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds pretty interesting. I'm wondering if the author based this on someone he knew? Just musing aloud. Even with the abrupt ending, it sounds like you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.

Yes, I enjoyed it a lot. Carol is such an inspiring character. Just like you, I also wonder whether this book is based on someone the author personally knew. It probably is :)
kimmyschemy06

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Rosemary Okoko
» 15 Jun 2017, 05:48

I have not read this book but from the review, i will definitely read it.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "Ironclad Clay Part 2" by Mark Wright
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 183%

Post Number:#6 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Jun 2017, 10:31

ROSEMARY OKOKO wrote:I have not read this book but from the review, i will definitely read it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
kimmyschemy06

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Atza1447
» 16 Jun 2017, 22:19

It sounds interesting, not my normal pick for books but it caught my interest. Looking forward to reading it.
Atza1447

Currently Reading: Cleopatra's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 15 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by Elaine5
» 17 Jun 2017, 05:08

Sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for your thorough review.
Elaine5

Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page

For All the Carols Out There

Post Number:#9 by nareadyns
» 19 Jun 2017, 08:03

Great review!

It's really sounds like a true story.......and for many girls or women it pretty hard not to relate to Carol on even one aspect of her life.

I will get the book to learn more on the story. I also wanna find out how Carol survived all these adversities. It always a plus to learn new ways of facing difficulties especially for girls/ women.

Thanks
nareadyns

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by klbradley
» 19 Jun 2017, 08:51

I'm looking forward to reading this one for myself! Thank you for sharing your review!
"Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us.. " -Tim Burton
klbradley's Latest Review: "Last Seen" by J L Doucette
klbradley
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
Goal Completion: 88%

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» 20 Jun 2017, 00:15

Atza1447 wrote:It sounds interesting, not my normal pick for books but it caught my interest. Looking forward to reading it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

-- 20 Jun 2017, 00:16 --

Elaine5 wrote:Sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for your thorough review.

Thank you very much. It is a very enjoyable read :)

-- 20 Jun 2017, 00:19 --

nareadyns wrote:Great review!

It's really sounds like a true story.......and for many girls or women it pretty hard not to relate to Carol on even one aspect of her life.

I will get the book to learn more on the story. I also wanna find out how Carol survived all these adversities. It always a plus to learn new ways of facing difficulties especially for girls/ women.

Thanks

Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

-- 20 Jun 2017, 00:57 --

klbradley wrote:I'm looking forward to reading this one for myself! Thank you for sharing your review!

Thank you. It's an interesting and enjoyable book.
kimmyschemy06

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 09 Jul 2017, 05:12

I really love the title, "For All the Carols out there". Sounds like a touching story that people who have faced bullying and abuse can relate to. Thank you for this review.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Emma Beware" by Michelle A. Iden
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 130%

Post Number:#13 by bookiegalke
» 26 Jul 2017, 06:07

The storyline sounds interesting to me particularly because at at first glance I perceived the book would be a collection of love poems to women who go by the name of carol.

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:08 --

The storyline sounds interesting to me particularly because at at first glance I perceived the book would be a collection of love poems to women who go by the name of carol.

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:09 --

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:10 --

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:10 --

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:11 --

-- 26 Jul 2017, 06:12 --

'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 27%