Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston

Post Number:#1 by Acwoolet
» 20 Apr 2017, 15:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sense of Touch" by Rozsa Gaston.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Acwoolet
Share This Review

Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany’s Court is an exquisitely written historical fiction novel by Rozsa Gaston. Set in the late 1400’s, the story of Anne of Brittany, Queen of France, is told through the eyes of fifteen-year-old Nicole St. Sylvain, a member of Anne’s court. Through Nicole we witness the tragedies Anne faces due to the loss of five of her children and how she perseveres through those losses.

As daughter of a wealthy merchant and noble through her mother, Nicole is the sole heir to her family’s money, meaning she must marry into a well-founded noble family to secure her future. However, when she falls in love with a young horse trainer, Philippe de Bois, the plans her family has for her changes everything she has begun to hope for. As her relationship with Philippe begins to grow, Nicole also discovers that she has been given the gift of healing. With this gift, Nicole must attempt to heal the royal child, securing her place in court and giving her hope that she may be rewarded with what she truly desires.

Although the story of Anne of Brittany’s life is devastatingly tragic, the way in which this story is written tells her tale with great reverence without completely shattering the reader’s emotions. Nicole’s first person narration demonstrates the magnificent strength and perseverance that Anne carries throughout her life, all while continuing with her role as Queen of France. Anne’s role, not only as Queen in Nicole’s life: but complete roll model, confidante, and friend nurtured Nicole in ways that she had never expected.

Sense of Touch is a beautifully written novel that will transport the reader back in time, giving the reader a wonderful appreciation of what life was like in late Medieval France. The dialogue never leaves the reader in a dull moment and sets a strong steady pace for the entire novel. One will feel great compassion for Anne’s struggles in life all while cheering for Nicole as she discovers the person she is meant to become. The secondary characters, although not as prevalent, greatly fill out the story, leaving a well-rounded novel. The book its self is well edited, creating a very well composed novel and leaves the reader satisfied in their own role in the story.

I don’t know if I can express how much I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, the premise was incredibly intriguing, although I was somewhat hesitant due to how tragic Anne’s life was, I was pleasantly surprised how upbeat the novel was. I had a very hard time putting the novel down and ended up reading it in just a couple of sittings.

I give Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany’s Court a 4 out of 4 stars. This incredible novel will touch anyone who reads it, whether they are fans of historical fiction or not.

Sense of Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Acwoolet's Latest Review: "Ice Cold" by Taylor Caley
Acwoolet

Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 21 Apr 2017, 12:04

I like that it is a historical fiction told through he eyes of a teenager. Instead of being the queen's perspective, we can see how all the events affected the life of the young girl. It sounds very interesting.

Great Review! 🐥
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 21 Apr 2017, 13:15

Interesting. I didn't think this would be a novel I would enjoy, but you make it sounds like it would be fabulous. If you enjoyed it that much, I'll put it on my to read list! Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#4 by Shreyoshi Sen
» 21 Apr 2017, 23:32

Interesting review. I would read this for sure. Thanks for the review.
Shreyoshi Sen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 180 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#5 by guguMdlalose
» 24 Apr 2017, 05:31

it totally good would love to read it....
guguMdlalose

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by Chrys Brobbey
» 24 Apr 2017, 19:47

"This incredible novel will touch anyone who reads it, whether they are fans of historical fiction or not." I'm touched by the review to read it as well, so it goes right to the top of my bookshelf.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#7 by kimmyschemy06
» 26 Apr 2017, 09:55

Sounds like one great read. I would love to read about late Medieval and this seems like a good story with fascinating and admirable characters. Nice review. Congratulations to Rozsa Gaston on such an obviously well written book.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Chakaura
Bookshelf Size: 317 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 60%