Official Review: Children of Covenant by Fred Howard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Children of Covenant by Fred Howard

Post by Cjgarland89 »

This is a great book to reflect on ourselves as a society, and even though it is fiction there are some real truths embedded in this story that are worth looking at. This review gives a great synopsis that caught my attention. I look forward to reading this book and reflecting upon my own actions.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great review. This sounds like it would have been somewhat difficult as you mentioned bringing into light your own prejudices and whether what you believe is valid or not. The topics you mentioned in the book seem to be hot topics in some areas of the country. Thank you for sharing.
Madison Degraffenreid
djaph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by djaph »

This is a very detailed review. In fact just reading it makes me feel like I've actually read most of the book.. WHat makes it even more approprite is the fact that the reviewer has given just enough information to make you want to go now and read the book. As for predjudices I have my own perspective, I believe that we should be loving of all people, just as God is.
Kimberly Rose

Post by Kimberly Rose »

This book shows us how prejudices affects not just our life but others too I really love this book the author shows what is really happening in today's society. Every one tends to criticized others without hesitation. We will learn a lot by reading this artwork.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Kudos to stoppoppingtheP vor the great review. I feel like I've already read the book. All except for the final outcome. Looking at the cover, I found no compelling reason to read the book Children of Covenant by Fred Howard. But the review lit my interest and I intend to read it soon.
Kabelo

Post by Kabelo »

This is something. You can see a conflict of believe and rejection. This book is wonderful.
normindrasarawi
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

It seems this book is powerful. The delivery of its message has a great impact to every reader. It can change everybody’s view on other people regarding their race, religion, and sex. I’d love to read this entire book. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

It is so true that many kids develop prejudices right from their birth because of statements given by narrow-minded parents. I like the approach used in this story. I'd definitely enjoy this book. I'm against all types of prejudices and applaud the effort by the author. Congrats on the detailed review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I think this book sounds amazing. It really seems an appropriate read in our current times. I'm so glad it was free because I plan to read the whole book, sooner than later. I'm not a religious person so the religious aspects might be troublesome, but I do commend the author on the character of a religious leader being open-minded to those who are different...those who would mostly be ostracized by many religious persons. Thanks for your review. Regarding your thoughts on looking inward. Books that make us think are the best books out there.

P.S. I love the your signature quote. I'm going to save it and look up the author. :)
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Very nice review. The Sample I read was interesting and I look forward to reading this book in the future. I agree that it should be considered Other Fiction and not Historical Fiction. The characters were believable in the segment I read.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Elizabeth Wangui
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by Elizabeth Wangui »

The review sounds good. The author tries to let us know more about prejudices where many learn more in different ways.
Onwude chidiebere

Post by Onwude chidiebere »

An interesting one. It will give a great insight and also an energy to keep reading because of the story line and the need to find out what really happen.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I'm looking forward to reading this book since you say that it is well written and tackles such an important subject. I also don't know that much about the Pakistan war. Great review!
HiddEn_CRUTIARS

Post by HiddEn_CRUTIARS »

" The killer is someone people believes (prejudice)
The killer is someone who seems no to be (reality)
yet The killer is the killer (truth)"
through this things a person is put in jail without further investigation, because thats what people thinks without looking evidence, they believe in what they think is right without deep knowledge about what really happened.. its just because they think they're always right without looking the other side of the story..

"doesn't mean God loves us anyway
we do things that aren't accepted in the society,"
yes we accept gays and lesbians in the society cause they are still humans. We dont have the right to hate them for they are Gods creation like we are, but that doesn't mean we can do things on our way like gay marriage etc. for its not right.

"religions dont stop people from helping/ being connected to one another, for they are people with different beliefs..."

people change in different ways, in some reason and experiences. they dont stay on one place and continue living in the they live before, they'll find something interesting that makes them change in the way they really dont imagine ...???

-- 03 Jun 2017, 01:07 --

" The killer is someone people believes (prejudice)
The killer is someone who seems no to be (reality)
yet The killer is the killer (truth)"
through this things a person is put in jail without further investigation, because thats what people thinks without looking evidence, they believe in what they think is right without deep knowledge about what really happened.. its just because they think they're always right without looking the other side of the story..

"doesn't mean God loves us anyway
we do things that aren't accepted in the society,"
yes we accept gays and lesbians in the society cause they are still humans. We dont have the right to hate them for they are Gods creation like we are, but that doesn't mean we can do things on our way like gay marriage etc. for its not right.

"religions dont stop people from helping/ being connected to one another, for they are people with different beliefs..."

people change in different ways, in some reason and experiences. they dont stay on one place and continue living in the they live before, they'll find something interesting that makes them change in the way they really dont imagine ...???
Surya Latha

Post by Surya Latha »

It is a perfect engrossing mystery about secrets in an old southern town that delivers a plea for unity .
It had got a climatic peak as it goes back in time to document the story of Gera's escape from Asia during the pakistani civil war , a rich and rugged storyline that is as informative as it is compelling ...!

Return to “Historical Fiction”