Official Review: Children of Covenant by Fred Howard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amypattenaude
Favorite Author: Deborah Harkness
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 20
fav_author_id: 2676

Re: Official Review: Children of Covenant by Fred Howard

Post by amypattenaude »

That was a pretty in depth review of the book. I don't know if I see the need to note what the author does in real life compared to his character, since this wasn't an interview, and I don't think you know the author personally, it just didn't fit while I was reading it. I do like the last bit though, admitting how the book got you to think about yourself, and how difficult you found that when you probably didn't think it would be to look in on yourself. I would suggest that any details you learned about the war from this work of fiction be verified before you count them as historical gospel though. Writer's on all levels have a tendency towards artistic license.
mstates
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by mstates »

This sounds interesting.since im a church goer it might do me good to read the book.i think its more inspiring on people who goes to church.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

After reading a sample, I found that the book fell a little into the trap of telling rather than showing, and could definitely benefit from a professional editor. Still, it sounds as though the author has an interesting story to tell and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

This seems like a really interesting book that talks about the prejudices that people have. I'm not sure it's my genre, but I look forward to reading the sample.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I find it interesting that I have had the same reaction to two different posts today. In the June BOTM discussion, there is a post that asks, if you could found a charity, what work would it do. My reply indicated that humanity's status is precarious right now. If I could found a charity, it would fund training to help young people and adults alike realize that "we are all in this together." I sincerely believe if we can do this, we will stop seeing those outside of our own circle as the "other" who are to be feared. I'm happy to see that this book tackles this as well.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think a book that can make us question our own prejudices is definitely an important book that should be read by everyone. I heard this book being compared to To Kill a Mockingbird, so I'm very excited it's free today and I look forward to reading it!
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. I think that it is great that you still rated it a 4 even though you had difficulty reading it and had you questioning your own prejudices. I think that is something that everyone has to decide for themselves and they should still read the book even if their ideas do not match yours or anyone else's.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I will surely love this book because it is focused on prejudice, social structure, and social groups. This deserves time to be read as it speaks about our social issues.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Great review! It sounds like this book addresses some important issues that unfortunately still affect the world..
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Benict
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benict »

indeed a GREAT review,
these are the most aspect of prejudices we are facing in the society today, especially that of the Religious prejudices leading to most crisis we are encountering in the world today.
i believe this book will be of great help to the society.
As it's said;
''when ever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more lights''
-Vera Nazarian
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for the insightful review. The book tackles two very controversial issues: homosexuality and the Muslims' freedom to practice their religion. I cannot say that I have no prejudices myself against certain groups of people, but my religion commands me to love my neighbor as myself. I am trying my best to do so.
I thank the author for giving this book away. I hope it will open a lot of minds and opportunities for better understanding and acceptance of homosexuals and Muslims alike.
Anksha2

Post by Anksha2 »

I am not done with the book yet. Just read through the first 3 chapters....From the little I've read, the book seems well researched into and well written... It spoke of controversial issues which were a bit unsettling, as I hadn't read the blurb or seen any reviews so the subject matter surprised me (got over that fast though)...Though the book was to help overcome prejudices, The main characters, Ike and Ismael had centered their views on just a life changing experience each in their lives which didn't sit well with me.
Hope I see the characters in a better light as I read on
Maack Heartboy

Post by Maack Heartboy »

After reading the review, i am left with the desire to read completely. Indeed prejudices put barriers in many lives and ruin many relationships. If we learn to rise above them it will be a great gain.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thanks for such a nice review. This one is a great book on prejudices against the Muslim community.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Michell Ellon

Post by Michell Ellon »

This one sounds good,but for me it's difficult to understand specially at first.

Return to “Historical Fiction”