Official Review: Mona Lisa's Secret by Phil Philips

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Mona Lisa's Secret by Phil Philips

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mona Lisa's Secret" by Phil Philips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reminiscent of both Da Vinci Code and National Treasure, Mona Lisa’s Secret by Phil Phillips is an amazing story from start to finish. Joey and his girlfriend Marie stumble across a hidden room in Joey’s estate containing what appears to be a copy of the Mona Lisa. It turns out that Joey’s great-grandfather was Vincenzo Peruggia, the man who stole the original Mona Lisa from the Louvre in 1911. The official story given to the world was that Peruggia stole the painting, then later returned it to the Louvre. However, upon closer examination of the painting they found, Joey and Marie are shocked to realize the painting they found is actually the original! After some discussion, they decide the right thing to do is to return the priceless piece of art to the Louvre.

Coincidentally, Marie has connections to Pierre, curator at the Louvre. Maria makes contact with Pierre, and the adventure begins. Why did Joey’s great-grandfather steal the Mona Lisa? Why did he return a fake to the Louvre? Why does Pierre go back on his word to announce that the real Mona Lisa has been found? Why are Joey and Marie’s lives suddenly in danger? The answers apparently lie hidden in the original Mona Lisa painting, if only it can be decoded.

Betrayal, kidnapping, high-tech intrigue, and heroism are all involved in the search to discover whatever secret Leonardo da Vinci hid within the Mona Lisa. When Marie ends up in a cell hidden in the Louvre with no way out, Joey’s search becomes that much more urgent. The high-stakes hunt takes Joey to the point of unraveling secrets that date back to the time of Christ. The more Joey finds out, the more convinced he becomes that some secrets should remain secrets.

Action-packed and filled with danger, Mona Lisa’s Secret is thrilling. The characters are well-drawn and overall likable (except for the antagonist and his sidekicks, of course). In particular, Joey is of interest as a character. Although he was the family misfit in his childhood, he has recently found himself the heir to the family estate. Having spent much effort to distance himself from the family legacy, Joey sees the quest to return the Mona Lisa as a way to clear the reputation of his family and start over, so to speak. Joey wishes to become his own person, distinct from his heritage, but doesn’t entirely discover what that entails until he is at the end of himself.

As a story, Mona Lisa’s Secret is rich and entertaining. However, I was disappointed that foul language is liberally used and that the beginning includes an adults-only scene. These factors would hinder me from recommending this to a young audience. Additionally, devout Catholics as well as other groups that follow the Holy Scriptures may be offended at some of the outcomes unless they view this solely as fiction. With those caveats in mind, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Mona Lisa's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The review is interesting. Hope the book proves to be interesting too. I would love to know the secrets hidden in the painting. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Having loved both The DaVinci Code and National Treasure, I'll have to add this one to my list. Love your review of it, especially sharing the caveats.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I am always entrigued with Monalisa not because of her smile but because of her eternal faame. I will flip the oages of this book for it might enlighten me.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
greenstripedgiraffe

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:The review is interesting. Hope the book proves to be interesting too. I would love to know the secrets hidden in the painting. Thanks for the review.
Thanks! I thought it was interesting :)

-- 31 Mar 2017, 07:29 --
CatInTheHat wrote:Having loved both The DaVinci Code and National Treasure, I'll have to add this one to my list. Love your review of it, especially sharing the caveats.
Thanks! I hope you like it as much as I did!

-- 31 Mar 2017, 07:30 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I am always entrigued with Monalisa not because of her smile but because of her eternal faame. I will flip the oages of this book for it might enlighten me.
The book contains a good deal of historical information about Mona Lisa that is most likely true, but I don't know that the "secrets" are really accurate, but I can't tell you what I mean more than that, because spoilers. :lol:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does really sound a lot like Da Vinci code. It sounds like a thrilling ride from start to finish, but I don't know if it is really for me. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! As the others already mentioned, the book reminds me a little of the DaVinci Code. I want to know the secrets in the painting!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I like the book already. It seems like a great action-packed read. I read Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code and I'm so intrigued by the Mona Lisa's secrets. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Phil Philips on such an obviously well written book.
greenstripedgiraffe

bookowlie wrote:Great review! As the others already mentioned, the book reminds me a little of the DaVinci Code. I want to know the secrets in the painting!
Thanks!!! I'd have to say the secret was pretty astounding ;)

-- 04 Apr 2017, 11:57 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:I like the book already. It seems like a great action-packed read. I read Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code and I'm so intrigued by the Mona Lisa's secrets. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Phil Philips on such an obviously well written book.

Thanks =) It was definitely a fun read! :)
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Great review! This sounds like a fun read. It's not the most original story line, but I do like action-packed with good characters!
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Wow this sounds kind of awesome! Great review, thank you!
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Just your review is so thrilling. It got me thinking; this book must really be thrilling from start to finish. It seems to make one tensed all through the read. Thanks by the way for warning some of us of the foul language.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
greenstripedgiraffe

Atabon Della wrote:Just your review is so thrilling. It got me thinking; this book must really be thrilling from start to finish. It seems to make one tensed all through the read. Thanks by the way for warning some of us of the foul language.
:oops: Thanks!
thesixthmonth
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by thesixthmonth »

It`s sounds thrilling especially that it is like The Da Vinci Code. It is also exciting to learn the secrets behind this Mona Lisa:s smile. Thanks for the great review.
greenstripedgiraffe

thesixthmonth wrote:It`s sounds thrilling especially that it is like The Da Vinci Code. It is also exciting to learn the secrets behind this Mona Lisa:s smile. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for reading my review and for your kind comments! :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”