Official Review: Envoy of Jerusalem by Helena P. Schrader

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Re: Official Review: Envoy of Jerusalem by Helena P. Schrade

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. While this doesn't sound like it's my cup of tea, I know several people who enjoy historical fiction and with words like "a story filled with action, treachery, love, and the true effects of war." and "themes of loyalty, fealty, betrayal, and love" I feel confidant in recommending this book to them. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Great review! I'm usually not super drawn to stories about crusades in general, but this sounds like a good read!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

For instance, Balian d’Ibelin is referred to both Balian and Ibelin, because he originates and owns Ibelin. I became used to this. However, when the Sultan and his followers first referred to Balian as ‘Ibn Barzan’, I was thrown off. It took me a couple of times in reading this reference to figure out they were speaking about Balian
I can see how confusing this might have been. I think I might give this book a try. Thanks for a wonderful review.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

According to your review, this book would be great for educational purposes, especially for high school students that have to learn about the Crusades. I always find it attractive when an author can use his/her talent to beautify the history and make it more attractive to students.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

It's good that it can be read as a stand alone, although I always prefer to read the previous books in a series first. The name thing can be confusing. I've run across that before in other historical fiction I've read.

Thanks for your detailed review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

Intrigue, love, hate, tension and mystery are included in the portion I read about Jerusalem's plight as described from afar. The book will fill in the details of a wife, mother, and knights involved in this dramatic time in the history of the Holy City.
Jim Thorne
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

Hey, hsimone! thanks for your description about Envoy of Jerusalem. Last week I have read one Biblical book. I liked that book and Envoy of Jerusalem is also looking like that book. I love to read Biblical and historical books. So I will definitely read it. Thanks.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

It sounds like it may be a more intricate historical novel. I'd be a little hesitant to read it due to lengthiness and the fact that it's the third in a series, but if it can stand alone, as the review indicates, it may still work out for me. If I do decide to read it, I'll have to keep an eye out for all those name variants, though.
Grace55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Grace55 »

Thank you for the insightful review. I am a great lover of historical fiction so this review has encouraged me to read the book as well. After some research on the author, Ms. Helena P. Schrader, an accomplished historical writer and diplomat, I believe this will be a worthwhile read a great addition to my library. I look forward to not only reading her work but following her career.
Thank you again,
Grace55
Melbyu

Post by Melbyu »

Thank you for the great review. Your description of the "power" couple makes me eager to read this book. I'm today's society it is refreshing and reaffirming to read books that empower and strengthen couples and families and provide good examples of how to come through the tough stuff stronger. I tend to have a hard time keeping track of characters as it is, so I am a little wary of the changing titles. Hopefully, like you I will be able to work it out. I just purchased on Amazon, so I will find out!
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. I haven't read the previous books, and as I am not familiar with that time period, it is good to know that the author does cover it quite well. It is a shame that there wasn't enough clarification in the names for you to give it four stars though.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Envoy of Jerusalem is the third in the series and appears to be a fantastic Historical Fiction. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like an exciting read and one that would be right up my alley! I love reads with historical themes like this. Thanks for the review.
chukzymac

Post by chukzymac »

Nice review, really like the biblical setting and most especially the love saga that goes on between Marion and his wife.Can wait to grab a copy.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

First, congrats on book of the day! I love the Crusades! I will add this one to my shelf! Sounds like an interesting read!

Return to “Historical Fiction”