Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: I, Walter by Mike Hartner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: I, Walter by Mike Hartner

Post Number:#1 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 09 Mar 2017, 15:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I, Walter" by Mike Hartner.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by greenstripedgiraffe
Share This Review

Written in the form of an autobiography or memoir, I, Walter by Mike Hartner is a story of an unlikely hero and philanthropist born in England in the late 1500’s. Walter narrates as though he were writing his life story when he is near death. His story begins when he runs from home around age 12 in search of a better life than his father would provide. After scraping an existence as best as he can, Walter meets with a man named Bert who convinces Walter to join the royal navy as a crew member. Fortunately for Walter, Bert is an honorable man who becomes Walter’s mentor and friend.

Honesty, a sense of fair play, and generosity rule Walter’s daily decisions as well as choices he makes when under significant pressure—such as fighting off a crew of pirates or defending the honor of girl captured by pirates. When Walter meets the love of his life, he wants nothing more than to prove himself worthy of asking her hand in marriage and sets out to search for ways to become wealthy. It is nearly impossible in this time period for someone of low birth to raise in position. Will the gods favor Walter in his quest? As a sailor in the royal navy, Walter faces a multitude of perilous situations. Pirates, nobility, danger, and mystery are all key players in Walter’s life.

When I review a book, I specifically look at the overall storyline, the pacing, and character development. Overall, I, Walter is a very easy read and has an adequate plot. The exciting action-filled pace and harrowing near-death experiences easily kept my attention. Regarding character development, Walter is generally a likable fellow, although he goes through life generally unaware of how he is perceived by others. Most of the other characters are somewhat flat, but the dialogue is overall solid and interesting. I also really like the fact that the romance is sweet and clean.

My biggest complaint is that I am not convinced that the author thoroughly researched history before writing. The time period felt more like a general setting than an integral part of the story. Mentions of actual historical people are rare and often vague. Even the king of England was referred to as “the King” throughout, although King James VI would have been the king of England. The author also introduces significant confusion about the king of Spain at the time. For these reasons, I take any history provided with a grain of salt. Some of the spelling was unusual to me, such as “sayling” instead of “sailing.” I guessed this was an attempt to provide some authenticity to the historical setting.

Overall, I rate this 3 out of 4 stars. I found the storyline to be unique and refreshing, but would not consider this to be solid historical fiction, even though set in the 1500’s. If the characters were better developed, I might be tempted to give this a solid 4, despite the lack of any solid historical authenticity.

I, Walter
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "The War Within, the Story of Josef" by Patricia Walkow
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 215 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: I, Walter by Mike Hartner

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 14 Mar 2017, 07:25

Interesting. I think an author should definitely do his research before writing a book like this. I don't know if I want to read a historical fiction if there really isn't much history. Thanks for the review though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Culture Man" by Guy Cook
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 99 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 81%

Post Number:#3 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Mar 2017, 10:19

Sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the limited historical information. It seems like the author focused mainly on the plot. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 335 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 96%

Post Number:#4 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 15 Mar 2017, 13:16

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the limited historical information. It seems like the author focused mainly on the plot. Good job on the review.

Yes, I think he did skimp a bit on the history part. Thanks!

-- 15 Mar 2017, 13:17 --

kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. I think an author should definitely do his research before writing a book like this. I don't know if I want to read a historical fiction if there really isn't much history. Thanks for the review though.

I do prefer a historical fiction with a real feel to it. The plot was interesting enough, though :) Thanks for reading my review!
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "The War Within, the Story of Josef" by Patricia Walkow
greenstripedgiraffe

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Tmn126
» 15 Mar 2017, 13:31

Thank you for this review. I am always interested in historical fiction. I'm a homeschool mom, and I think this genre can help history become real and relatable for my children more than a dry textbook ever could. However, when the history in a book is vague or inaccurate, it does sort of defeat the purpose. So that's really helpful information to have from a review. It doesn't necessarily make the book bad, but it does impact the reasons I might have fore reading it.
Tmn126's Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Tmn126

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 9 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#6 by gali
» 16 Mar 2017, 23:09

Sounds interesting! Too bad about the lack of sufficient research. I am glad you still enjoyed the book. Thank you for the great review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 1653 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 75%

Post Number:#7 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 17 Mar 2017, 07:46

Tmn126 wrote:Thank you for this review. I am always interested in historical fiction. I'm a homeschool mom, and I think this genre can help history become real and relatable for my children more than a dry textbook ever could. However, when the history in a book is vague or inaccurate, it does sort of defeat the purpose. So that's really helpful information to have from a review. It doesn't necessarily make the book bad, but it does impact the reasons I might have fore reading it.

Thank you for reading my review! I do hope it helped.

-- 17 Mar 2017, 07:46 --

gali wrote:Sounds interesting! Too bad about the lack of sufficient research. I am glad you still enjoyed the book. Thank you for the great review!

Thank you! :)
greenstripedgiraffe

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by hsimone
» 17 Mar 2017, 09:23

Thank you for the thorough review! I love that the plot is so captivating. However, when I read a historical fiction piece, I thrive on the factual information. Because this book lacked the historical pieces, I believe it is not for me. I'm glad, though, that you were still able to enjoy this read despite its flaws. :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: The Art of Hiding
Bookshelf Size: 408 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 63%

Post Number:#9 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 17 Mar 2017, 12:35

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the thorough review! I love that the plot is so captivating. However, when I read a historical fiction piece, I thrive on the factual information. Because this book lacked the historical pieces, I believe it is not for me. I'm glad, though, that you were still able to enjoy this read despite its flaws. :)

Thank you for your your kind comments. I was surprised at the lack of historicity! I think I would classify it in "other fiction" rather than "historical fiction." :lol:
greenstripedgiraffe

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by godreaujea
» 11 May 2017, 15:40

I love historical fiction, but mostly because I find the storyline that is based on true events fascinating and I like reading about complex characters. Sometimes a story just has one of those things, but it doesn't sound like this book hits my quota. You wrote a nice, honest review though, so thank you!
godreaujea's Latest Review: "The Angel Strikes" by Oliver Fairfax
godreaujea

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 340 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 62%

Post Number:#11 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 11 May 2017, 15:54

godreaujea wrote:I love historical fiction, but mostly because I find the storyline that is based on true events fascinating and I like reading about complex characters. Sometimes a story just has one of those things, but it doesn't sound like this book hits my quota. You wrote a nice, honest review though, so thank you!

I love historical fiction because of the fascination with learning about history! So, if the accuracy is dubious, my enjoyment is dubious =D
greenstripedgiraffe

View Reviewer Page