Official Review: Lost Bastards by L. Todd Wood

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Re: Official Review: Lost Bastards by L. Todd Wood

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"A story of hardship, love, and heroism of The Korean War, ....." At a time when North Korea is on the verge of unleashing another war, this book is welcomed. I hope the hardships portrayed will be a lesson for our leaders to avoid another war by all means possible. The review is thorough and enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a very moving and informative book. I feel like I would learn a lot because I know practically nothing about the Korean War. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

As a historical fiction fan, this sounds intriguing! Awesome review and congrats on BOTD!
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

A very good interpretation of a subject matter that isn't often written about! Nice revew.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Given events in the news right now, a book about the Korean War is very timely. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
OlgaNM
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olganm.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OlgaNM »

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm particularly interested in personal accounts and this one sounds like a winner. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
chattykathy
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chattykathy.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by chattykathy »

Thank you so much for your honest review. My father was a soldier during the Korean war and he refuses to talk about it except a few of the guys that were his friends. This is very interesting to me so that I can get a glimpse into his world back then.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the great review. I don't usually read books about wars but the author's experience and his insights seems very intriguing.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I loved your review and the author's background in the military makes the story more believable. The story in this book sounds very similar to stories that I have heard from other Korean War Veterans. I read a book about military service and the constant swearing threw me off too.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I love books like these! This sounds absolutely amazing for the subject matter / story and I'm glad that it came off as well written too. This is right up my alley. Thanks for the review.
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

The book is clear, very good in information, talks about the conflict between North and South Korean. The novel is well- written. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the great review!
jithin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jithin »

My father never spoke of the war, only that it was horrific. Maybe had he shared those stories, we wouldn't have gone in different directions. I have read L. Todd Wood's Conner Murray series and liked them very much, as he did battle against evil with intellect and tenacity. I was looking forward to his next Conner Murray novel, when lost bastards came out.

A true story from a war I new nothing about, except for M*A*S*H 4077. L. Todd Wood has surpassed himself in his writing, he fills the void of actually how dedicated the greatest generation was and still is. He honers those who are the quiet heroes that walk amongst us. At 58 yrs old while on a Mexican beach reading this book, I found myself tearing up, then laughing, as I had been put in some of the same predicaments. All I could think to myself, was I wish I had met all of them, these quiet heroes.
Lost Bastards is based upon real events in 1953 on the front lines of the Korean War. The story follows a unit of U.S. Soldiers on a classified mission in support of Republic of Korea (ROK) troops. This Forgotten War is not well known by most and this book is a good look into what these soldiers faced while working side by side with our ally. This story reminds us that these soldiers were also part of The Greatest Generation and just like the veterans of WWII, deserve our respect and gratitude.

I found this book to be an easy read. Once I started it, I had to finish it. Unlike his other books, this book starts slow and the action builds slowly from beginning to end.

L Todd Wood is an emerging star. Those that enjoy Tom Clancy, Dale Brown and W.E.B. Griffin will likely enjoy his works.
Marie06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marie06 »

I'm not really into war stories but the great review made it really interesting.would love to read this one.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I've absolutely no knowledge of the Korean war and was looking for a way to learn more about it. This book seems like a good place to start, especially since it's based on real life events. Thank you for this brilliant review.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

This book sounds amazing. We will learn about the soldier's life in dealing with a battle. Congrats on a well-written review!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein

Return to “Historical Fiction”