Featured Review: The Sins of Soldiers by S J Hardman Lea

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Featured Review: The Sins of Soldiers by S J Hardman Lea

Post by godreaujea »

This book sounds very interesting! I haven't read a book in this kind of perspective before. Great review!
Ndondo27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ndondo27 »

The book is good especially for those who love fiction and those who love history as it covers both genres
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Firstly, I don't like reading books about soldiers or wars because I think I won't understand the story and more so the slow pacing in the first half is another limitation for me. U just read a book which had a slow pacing all through and am trying to avoid a similar situation. Thanks though go the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

Great review. It is lovely to be able to walk through the war ridden battlegrounds with the soldiers, feel their struggles and pain. Full character development in a book brings it completely to life. This book must be a great read.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

This is a great review and the book sure sounds great since it helps us to connect with soldiers and understand what they feel.

-- 26 Nov 2017, 05:21 --

The book sounds great but I wonder whether the author should have put more historical facts in it since it is a historical fiction book. Also the slow pace of the book is not something I enjoy reading. Great review though on the book, will try to read the book itself
ahmadusunday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ahmadusunday »

I don't really understand where the story is leading me to. I did not find anything interesting in it.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

I have a weak spot for good historical fiction. It's difficult balancing historical facts and the human element. I'm intrigued by the human element you mention in this story, and I want to give it a go. Even though you said the first part drags, I think (based on what I'm understanding here) that it might've been necessary for the main character's development. He is a journalist meant to document the daily life of British soldiers, but maybe it was also a little bit of a culture shock to the American? Things that are new tend to stick out more, so maybe that's why there's an overabundance of detail at times. It also could've been necessary to drag the pace in order to establish connections with his fellow soldiers, and make his epiphany about enjoying their company all the more poignant. But that's all speculation on my end. I definitely want to give this a read; I have it marked down in my notebook.

If you're interested in well-balanced (historical facts/human element) historical fiction, you might like The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. :tiphat:
Sumra Abbas
Currently Reading: Bama Boy
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sumra Abbas »

Writing about the experiences of soldiers, this book can be a useful guide for any person whether one is soldier or not - by profession. Because somehow we all are soldiers of life, who daily face the situations like winning, losing,loving, hating, earning good or bad reputation, fear of misconception and much more. In this way it covers the broad spectrum of all people's experiences. Really worthy of time!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Anson did take a risk and it was worth it. Journalists are superheroes. Thanks for the review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Historical fiction takes me back to the history of a certain time. Thanks for the review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have never really been a great fan of historical fiction. However, this book seems to have an intriguing plot. Will definitely love to try it out.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Reading from the perspective of a soldier is really great. I wonder what type of soldier he will be. From a journalist to a being soldier, that’s an interesting hats tee development.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. Seems like a good read.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 08:52 Great review! Sounds a bit slow, but I would probably enjoy it just the same. I love that the characters are well-developed and real.
You're right, but I don't mind the slowness as long as I'm guaranteed a good book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”