Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Post Number:#1 by bookowlie
» 09 Feb 2017, 13:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Fullness of Time" by Katherine P. Stillerman.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by bookowlie
Share This Review

In the Fullness of Time by Katherine P. Stillerman is a historical novel that takes place in South Carolina in the early 1900’s. It is the sequel to Hattie’s Place and picks up seven years after the first book left off. Once she married Charles Barton, Hattie left her teaching job to raise his four boys and fulfill the duties of a prominent lawyer’s wife. Inspired by a Women’s Suffrage protest in Washington D.C., she becomes active in the fight for women’s voting rights.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author seamlessly weaves real-life historical events through a fictional plot full of relatable characters. Although I was fortunate to have read the first book, this current installment can easily be read as a standalone. The characters from the first book are introduced early on, complete with vivid backstories.

All of the ingredients are mixed well into an absorbing storyline - the routines of Southern small-town life, the reappearance of an old flame, a mystery side plot, and the grass-roots activism of the Suffrage movement. It's an interesting peek at an important period in history, along with a heartfelt story of love, friendship, and the power of uniting for a common cause.

There is a realistic theme about the main character having to reconcile the “two Hatties” – the independent, career gal she was before marriage and the person she is now, a married woman who gave up her teaching job to assume the expected responsibilities of being a lawyer’s wife and full-time stepmother to four boys. Hattie’s close friendship with her assertive sister-in-law Alice is one of the highlights of the book, as the older woman mentors and inspires her in so many ways.

The writing has an easy, natural flow, but there are abrupt time jumps that are a bit jarring. In the middle of a chapter, I would be taken by surprise that a few years had already passed. Here’s an example – “Pauline was so taken by him when she went with you and Earline to First Baptist in Greenville. She hasn’t stopped talking about him since, even though it’s been almost two years."

The PDF file I received appears to be a final draft, with notes and corrections in red in the text and right-hand column; there was also a dated label of “final draft” when I downloaded it. Hopefully, the published book is in final form and doesn’t contain these notations. I also noticed several errors scattered throughout the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a prime example of the phrase “getting lost in a good book.” I can easily recommend it to fans of historical fiction and anyone who just wants to curl up and read an engrossing story.

In the Fullness of Time
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Post Number:#2 by gali
» 10 Feb 2017, 00:11

Sound like a fun read. I am glad you enjoyed it that much. I also like when all of the ingredients are mixed well into an storyline. Thank you on the great review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 1619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#3 by bookowlie
» 10 Feb 2017, 00:40

Thanks Gali! I actually liked this book even more than the first book. It was a happy surprise since sequels are sometimes not that good.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Wasif Ahmed
» 11 Feb 2017, 06:14

Another great and well written review.😊 This doesn't seem like my kind-of read though.
Congratulations to the author on getting such a great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed's Latest Review: "Toon Girl" by Sean Wheeler
Wasif Ahmed

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#5 by hsimone
» 11 Feb 2017, 09:32

Thank you, bookowlie, for another great review! I've been meaning to read Hattie's Place for a while now, so this is a nice reminder. :) I love when you can get lost in a book; it shows real talent from the author. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Forever King" by Diana Sims
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant
Bookshelf Size: 383 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#6 by bookowlie
» 11 Feb 2017, 09:46

Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by hsimone
» 11 Feb 2017, 10:50

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.

That's good to know! Out of curiosity, I went to look at it on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if it's not officially published at this time?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Forever King" by Diana Sims
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant
Bookshelf Size: 383 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#8 by Wasif Ahmed
» 12 Feb 2017, 05:09

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.

You are Welcome @bookowlie. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed's Latest Review: "Toon Girl" by Sean Wheeler
Wasif Ahmed

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#9 by bookowlie
» 12 Feb 2017, 08:37

hsimone wrote:

That's good to know! Out of curiosity, I went to look at it on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if it's not officially published at this time?

I also didn't find it on Amazon when I tried to read the sample before selecting a book. I am assuming it hasn't been published yet.
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 14 Feb 2017, 21:59

This sounds like a good read. I don't know much about the suffrage movement in history. Guess I usually take it for granted that females can vote 😆
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 209 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Feb 2017, 02:27

Sounds like a great book with endearing character. As a self-declared feminist, I think I can easily relate to Hattie :) . Moreover, I love books in a series that can be read as standalone. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Apostates Book Three
Bookshelf Size: 316 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#12 by bookowlie
» 15 Feb 2017, 09:24

[img][*][/img]
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:This sounds like a good read. I don't know much about the suffrage movement in history. Guess I usually take it for granted that females can vote 😆

I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.

-- 15 Feb 2017, 10:28 --

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great book with endearing character. As a self-declared feminist, I think I can easily relate to Hattie :) . Moreover, I love books in a series that can be read as standalone. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.

Thanks Kimmyschemy! Hattie is certainly a memorable character.
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 15 Feb 2017, 09:29

bookowlie wrote:

I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.[/quote]

Yes, exactly!!! :techie-reference:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 209 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#14 by bookowlie
» 13 Mar 2017, 17:18

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
bookowlie wrote:

I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.

Yes, exactly!!! :techie-reference:[/quote]

In this case, I didn't know too much about the Women's Suffrage movement so the background info was a nice bonus. I felt like I was right there with the protest signs!
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by jamesabr
» 18 Mar 2017, 13:50

Despite the supposed jarring moments, this book sounds like I wouldn't be able to put it down. Thanks for the review.
jamesabr's Latest Review: "Cycle of Being" by Jahleen Wright
jamesabr

Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Next