Official Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mary3230
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary3230.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Re: Official Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Post by mary3230 »

I'm glad I checked out this thoughtful review. The title of the book was tempting, but I'm not a fan of WW2 history, so I won't be reading the book. Without the review, who knows?
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I rarely read historical fiction because of the fact you pointed out, where the author doesn't invest in building the story they instead just drop a ton of facts here and there. The storyline sounds intriguing. I probably won't read it because I don't want to wade through the facts. The review was good and honest. :tiphat:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the helpful review! It's not necessarily the sometimes flat writing or the gaps in character dynamic that make me unsure of reading. I just don't have much understanding and interest in the plot.
Alycorn
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alycorn.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Alycorn »

Thank you for the illuminating review. I may start reading it, but your comments do leave me concerned, as I was also eager to read about the struggle with bipolar and am disappointed to hear that that plot point(Which is focused on in much of the information) isn't as much of a focus as implied
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I am a historical fiction fan so the book sounds interesting to me. I also enjoy all books about WW2 so I was instantly taken in. I was a bit confused with the comments about the historical facts being dropped in,without reading the book I can't be sure but wouldn't they be necessary for context, especially for younger readers whom may not have had a strong educational standpoint?
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The cover of the book is inviting, therefore, I would have chosen to read the book. Having read the review, I found the book to be focusing on war amongst other things, but because I am not a fan of war novels, I will not read the book. The author showed them to be strong and brave characters. Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Beekayr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Beekayr »

Good effort on the part of the author to interest the reader with a compelling plot ,I would definitely give it a read as the reviewer itself gives it a high rating of 3/4 even if there are some dull portions in the book which is quite normal. :)
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Great review thrillers are my thing however am disappointed that the author disregarded what would have made the book a four star novel.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Based on the review, Rob Smith's "The Water Trade" had potential to be a very exciting story with great character development. Although I am a fan of historical fiction, I will probably pass on Smith's book due to the disconnect between an amazing plot and flat writing style. Thanks for the honest review!
Salome Yakubu
Favorite Book: A Day in Eternity
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Salome Yakubu »

Your review is looking not only the interesting aspect of book or to make the readers feel they want to read the book but it also checked some of the lapses of the Author in not giving the readers a clear picture of what they are saying or a clear message they want to pass. Its a good one keep it up.
mllamisaamadi
Currently Reading: The Rock Stars of Neuroscience
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by mllamisaamadi »

an interesting historical exploit that need my further study,a fantastic author's tale,rated 3-4stars

Return to “Historical Fiction”