Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 13 Sep 2018, 19:24
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 3
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary3230.html
- Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
I'm glad I checked out this thoughtful review. The title of the book was tempting, but I'm not a fan of WW2 history, so I won't be reading the book. Without the review, who knows?
- Posts: 338
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
- 2018 Reading Goal: 80
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 63
- Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
- Favorite Book: McDowell
- Currently Reading: Superhighway
- Bookshelf Size: 224
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
- Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
- fav_author_id: 96867
I rarely read historical fiction because of the fact you pointed out, where the author doesn't invest in building the story they instead just drop a ton of facts here and there. The storyline sounds intriguing. I probably won't read it because I don't want to wade through the facts. The review was good and honest.
- Posts: 443
- Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 20:00
- 2018 Reading Goal: 15
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
- Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
- Bookshelf Size: 185
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
- Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin
Thanks for the helpful review! It's not necessarily the sometimes flat writing or the gaps in character dynamic that make me unsure of reading. I just don't have much understanding and interest in the plot.
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 May 2018, 16:30
- Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
- Bookshelf Size: 7
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alycorn.html
- Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo
Thank you for the illuminating review. I may start reading it, but your comments do leave me concerned, as I was also eager to read about the struggle with bipolar and am disappointed to hear that that plot point(Which is focused on in much of the information) isn't as much of a focus as implied
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 22 Feb 2018, 10:46
- 2018 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
- Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
- Bookshelf Size: 59
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
- Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer
I am a historical fiction fan so the book sounds interesting to me. I also enjoy all books about WW2 so I was instantly taken in. I was a bit confused with the comments about the historical facts being dropped in,without reading the book I can't be sure but wouldn't they be necessary for context, especially for younger readers whom may not have had a strong educational standpoint?
- Posts: 243
- Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 08:22
- 2018 Reading Goal: 20
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
- Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
- Bookshelf Size: 23
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
- Latest Review: The Beeping Brothers Road to Success by Scott L. Chally
The cover of the book is inviting, therefore, I would have chosen to read the book. Having read the review, I found the book to be focusing on war amongst other things, but because I am not a fan of war novels, I will not read the book. The author showed them to be strong and brave characters. Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 15 Sep 2018, 08:02
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 2
Good effort on the part of the author to interest the reader with a compelling plot ,I would definitely give it a read as the reviewer itself gives it a high rating of 3/4 even if there are some dull portions in the book which is quite normal.
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 03 May 2018, 22:16
- Currently Reading: Rats on the train
- Bookshelf Size: 39
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
- Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Great review thrillers are my thing however am disappointed that the author disregarded what would have made the book a four star novel.
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 20 Jul 2018, 17:01
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 38
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
- Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Based on the review, Rob Smith's "The Water Trade" had potential to be a very exciting story with great character development. Although I am a fan of historical fiction, I will probably pass on Smith's book due to the disconnect between an amazing plot and flat writing style. Thanks for the honest review!
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 08 Sep 2018, 15:20
- Favorite Book: A Day in Eternity
- Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
- Bookshelf Size: 36
Your review is looking not only the interesting aspect of book or to make the readers feel they want to read the book but it also checked some of the lapses of the Author in not giving the readers a clear picture of what they are saying or a clear message they want to pass. Its a good one keep it up.
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 07:36
- Currently Reading: The Rock Stars of Neuroscience
- Bookshelf Size: 17
an interesting historical exploit that need my further study,a fantastic author's tale,rated 3-4stars