Official Review: Northdale by Robert L. Nelis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavender19
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Official Review: Northdale by Robert L. Nelis

Post by lavender19 »

for me i think it is interesting to read this novel
twinn
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinn.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by twinn »

I love it when women are given a 'voice'. Would gladly read it. I'll see about the writing style though, it should have been engaging and interactive. Thanks for an honest review.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Teewhy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teewhy »

This is really not what am into... But giving it a try to read on other stuff like the Viking raids plague the land, knowing that these raids are brutal on Northdale’s people; murder, rape, and kidnap are just a few of the crimes the Viking raiders commit during the attacks. I think when am through reading it going to be something worthwhile reading
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lyra »

Thank you for a well-written review! I've just received my copy and will be reading this. I usually have high expectations of any novel I read, so I usually go to read the reviews to get a feel of what the book is about and how it's told, and then I see for myself. I immerse myself in the experience of reading stories, so thanks again!
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

This book sounda fantastic. I love historical fiction, especially if it's during the middle ages. I should give it a read myself. As a writer myself, I'll keep these writing tips in mind. Thank you for the review. You did a good job.
Lyra wrote:I usually go to read the reviews to get a feel of what the book is about and how it's told, and then I see for myself.
I do the same thing, but what usually happens is that there are those select few who review some books a little too much. After reading the book myself, I go back to the reviews and then see for myself if those people were right all along (in my opinion). Most of the time, I think that they were being a little over the top.
Last edited by TobiOrNotTobi on 10 Jun 2017, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Achero22

Post by Achero22 »

I've never been a fun of historical books because they mainly bring out chauvinistic qualities, but since your review has mentioned that women are depicted in a strong manner I'll read it. Though I don't know if I'll stand the spelling errors. I'm also a hopeless romantic and prefer books that bring out both emotions and facts so it's going to be a challenge on my part but I'll give it a go.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I like to read books with strong female characters. Thank you for your informative review about the book.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
campion

Post by campion »

Excellent review - the novel does sound interesting though the grammatical errors and dry writing style does seem a bit of a turn off. However, the idea of a mythical lost kingdom in Medieval England does sound fascinating so I might still give it a go!
Emmanuel Ameachi
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Emmanuel Ameachi »

The writing style is quite twisted and complicated in structure,meanwhile a good job was done but am not in line with the structure text format
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Interesting, engaging, and revolutionary (for the time period it was set). Yes, there are noticeable typos but the portrayal of the characters and events were not affected that much. The pace is just right for me. I felt the skipping of years is necessary so as not to bore the readers and focus instead on the more lively part such as the circumstances during the war, fighting against the Vikings, and the various changes that happened in Northdale. Gender equality and women empowerment, not simply feminism, are vastly exemplified throughout the book. I also liked the ending because it discussed the fates of almost all of the characters, which is not typical with a lot of authors. Very good flow. I give this a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Return to “Historical Fiction”