Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Churchill's Assassin by John Righten

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: Churchill's Assassin by John Righten

Post Number:#1 by Kia
» 10 Nov 2016, 22:06

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Churchill's Assassin" by John Righten.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Kia
Share This Review

Churchill’s Assassin by John Righten is the first book in the Lochran series, and is an action mystery of epic proportions. Ryan Lochran is on his way to a secret rendezvous with Sir Churchill Winston on New Year’s Eve 1965. Upon arrival, he interrupts an assassination attempt on Churchill’s life, and pursues the sniper. Much to everyone’s dismay, the struggle results in the death of the would-be assassin who was to be brought in for questioning. But now the looming question emerges: why would anyone attempt to kill a man everyone knows to be terminally ill? Lochran is desperate to find the answer, and his search takes him all around the world. During his travels, Lochran comes face-to-face with some of the most notorious criminal organizations the world has to offer, and realizes that something is coming that has the potential to change the world forever.

The thing that I enjoyed the most about this book was that it is just fast-paced and exciting enough to keep the reader’s attention throughout the entire novel. The thrill of the chase is never far from one’s mind and even when characters are simply speaking the tension is often high. In many books, this constant action becomes tedious very quickly, but Righten has done a marvelous job of adding just enough down time and light-hearted moments to keep the plot moving along.

One of the ways Righten accomplishes this feat is by adding flashbacks throughout the novel, showing a young Ryan Lochran and his mother. While these flashbacks added substantially to the plot, I found that it took me almost half the book to really understand what I was reading in these sections. This is because the only transition from one time to another was a chapter change with a date and location as part of the chapter title. It might be beneficial for the first few chapters at least to have some defining characteristic in the first paragraph to orient the reader.

Being able to look into Lochran’s past in such detail in the flashback chapters allowed Righten to focus on the plot during the present day scenes. Character development did not need to be emphasized because the reader was able to easily understand how Lochran turned out the way he did based on the scenes of his childhood. However, enough detail was omitted about many of the main characters that the reader really feels the pressure to read the second book to quench their curiosity.

Overall, I rate Churchill’s Assassin 3 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, but I had a hard time orienting myself during some of the flashback chapters. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good action mystery. Due to some violent scenes, I would not recommend this book to a younger audience.

Churchill's Assassin
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kia's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kia

Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Churchill's Assassin by John Righten

Post Number:#2 by LivreAmour217
» 11 Nov 2016, 20:01

Great review! This sounds like a very entertaining read!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "My Life" by Doug Shepardson
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 118%

Post Number:#3 by Kia
» 11 Nov 2016, 20:52

LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! This sounds like a very entertaining read!

Thank you, I enjoyed it very much.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by TrishaAnn92
» 12 Nov 2016, 12:55

Wonderful review! This book sounds fast paced and exciting!
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter
TrishaAnn92's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Publishing Contest ~ 20 Votes ~ View TrishaAnn92's Entry
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Book: The Messenger (2)
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 184 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 90 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Post Number:#5 by Kia
» 12 Nov 2016, 13:08

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Wonderful review! This book sounds fast paced and exciting!

Thanks! The action certainly never let up long enough for me to be bored.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by rssllue
» 12 Nov 2016, 19:55

Very nice job on the review. You made the book sound quite interesting and it may be one that I pick up in the future!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 383 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#7 by Kia
» 12 Nov 2016, 20:38

rssllue wrote:Very nice job on the review. You made the book sound quite interesting and it may be one that I pick up in the future!

I'm glad to hear it! You'll have to let me know what you think if you do decide to read it.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by rssllue
» 12 Nov 2016, 20:58

Will do!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 383 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#9 by kimmyschemy06
» 13 Nov 2016, 08:31

Sounds like a very interesting book. The plot seems really intriguing. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Myth and Punishment" by Anoop Chandola
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Seasons Change So Can You
Bookshelf Size: 378 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 126%

Post Number:#10 by AA1495
» 13 Nov 2016, 09:19

Agree with your points about the pace of the book and the details omitted. I like stories that end with the book so I might not read this one! Thank You for the great review!
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Post Number:#11 by Kia
» 13 Nov 2016, 09:44

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. The plot seems really intriguing. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Good job on the review.

Thank you! It is too bad, but I found that the flaws didn't distract too badly from the plot.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by bookowlie
» 13 Nov 2016, 11:17

Great, balanced review! I also find it hard sometimes to deal with flashbacks in a book, even if they add depth to the plot. The transitions can be abrupt and confusing.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 98%

Post Number:#13 by Kia
» 13 Nov 2016, 12:40

AA1495 wrote:Agree with your points about the pace of the book and the details omitted. I like stories that end with the book so I might not read this one! Thank You for the great review!

Thanks!

-- 13 Nov 2016, 12:41 --

bookowlie wrote:Great, balanced review! I also find it hard sometimes to deal with flashbacks in a book, even if they add depth to the plot. The transitions can be abrupt and confusing.

I agree, it's hard to find the balance sometimes.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by Kdonegan91
» 17 Nov 2016, 19:39

It is great that the author kept you intrigued throughout the novel. Since you had difficulty keeping the flashbacks and present day separate, I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for a great review. :)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Kdonegan91's Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Kdonegan91

Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: Never Cry Again
Currently Reading: Fused
Bookshelf Size: 71 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD+ 9
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#15 by Kia
» 17 Nov 2016, 22:04

Kdonegan91 wrote:It is great that the author kept you intrigued throughout the novel. Since you had difficulty keeping the flashbacks and present day separate, I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for a great review. :)

I understand. By about the middle of the book I had it pretty well figured out, but it was confusing in the beginning.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Next