The Roman General a Novel by Jocelyn Murray

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon The Roman General a Novel by Jocelyn Murray

Post by Vermont Reviews »

The Roman General
A Novel
By Jocelyn Murray

The main character in the story General Marcus Valerius Vetus from the province of Aquitania is the central character in this story. The emperor, general Trajan is the leader of the Roman army and emperor. The story takes place in the 2nd century and is historical fiction. General Marcus Valerius Vetus finds out that his family have all passed away because of the plague. He goes home to find that his wife and children have died. He also finds that one servant had stayed to inform him of the deaths. Some of my favorite lines in the story. “We are Rome… to fight like Romans. Fight for our ancestors. Fight for our children. And fight for the glory of Rome.” The story follows the client king Decebalus of the Dacians and his refusal to bow to the emperor Trajan. Another line that I liked “An invisible opponent is a frightening thing indeed. Not of flesh and bone, but of something intangible, whose power to destroy is far greater than any battle.” According to emperor Trajan the Christians were being blamed for the plague. General Marcus had previously been captured by Bastarnae soldiers because his life as a general was worth about 500 denarii. Titus had rescued him. Their bond had deepened into one of unconditional trust. I found this story one of interesting characters and excellent descriptions of what life was like during the 2nd century. I have rated this story a solid 5 stars. Jocelyn Murray is a wonderful writer who is able to portray the scenery and lifestyle of this historical time period. I would enjoy reading more of her works. Another line that I enjoyed. “Life itself is a risk. There are no guarantees, but death. It is not only how one lives that matters, but how one dies.” “True honor lies in maintaining our integrity regardless of the challenges we meet.”

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for this! I love novels set in Roman times :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Historical Fiction”