Official Review: Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suck...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Official Review: Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suck...

Post by lane_vespertine »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suckers" by Kolya S..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

By Kolya S.

Suckers, as I will be calling this book throughout this review, tells the story of one man, Peter. As we begin the story, Peter is a depressed middle aged immigrant from the former Yugoslavia living in London. He is married to a woman he has little concern for and has two sons of whom he questions paternity. He feels isolated from the London in which he lives and spends his time wallowing with long sessions of YouTube, watching old music videos and speeches from his home country.

Today, Yugoslavia is no longer a country and has dissolved into many smaller countries divided on ethnic and religious lines. But it is in the not-as-of-yet dissolved Yugoslavia that the story takes us next.

Peter is born in Bugojno in the country now referred to as Bosnia and Herzegovina. Interestingly, although he spends all of his childhood in this city, he always feels that his time there is temporary. He likens it to a gay man always having known he was different even before he knew exactly what it was. Peter knows he is going to leave even before he understands entirely what that means.

As he grows up, Peter becomes interested in girls, develops a serious love affair with cigarettes, and goes off to university a few hours’ drive away from his hometown. He is not a perfect student, and eventually opts instead for an offer to get him into London. There, he deals with being an immigrant, finding jobs, and meeting new people.

Suckers is not a plot driven book. It is more of a biopic, albeit perhaps a fictional one. This is the story of one man’s life: Peter’s. The author, Kolya S., is not interested in making grand statements or generalizations about larger issues, but rather he is content to simply allow Peter to be. We see the breakup of Yugoslavia and the conflict associated through Peter’s eyes, the eyes of someone living in a different country who seems to have little personally invested in his home country.

Peter is a lovably superficial character. He is a delightful contrast to the ‘strong, silent’ cliché so frequent in literature. Lacking any sort of introspection, he simply does what he can with what he has and doesn’t waste time thinking about what isn’t. If something gets beyond his control, he tries his hardest to simply adapt and move on. Peter doesn’t dwell on being an immigrant, and in fact about the only things he ever does dwell on are women’s breasts. He has lots of thoughts about those.

There was a moment, early on, when I realized that this book was written specifically for me. I don’t mean that literally, but every single element of Suckers attracted me and kept me reading and hoping it would never end. It started with a description in which the formation of Yugoslavia and its major players (Tito being the most significant) are metaphorically related to players in a soccer game. I have read many books about the subject and take quite an interest, but this metaphor was simply the best and most concise explanation of what actually happened I’ve ever read.

All of the characters in Suckers feel like real people. They are not necessarily relatable or even likable, but they are always three dimensional. The style of writing is deliberate and clear. Kolya S. doesn’t use unnecessary adjectives or other adornments. He does frequently include pop culture references. The music that is popular or the movies people were seeing, all of these additions give substantiation to these characters actually living in the real world. There are a few typos in my copy, with one huge example being in a chapter heading written as “Weding Suit.” These never distracted from the story and were infrequent.

I found very little information about the author in my research for this review, but I suspect many of the experiences are based on real events and people. Many of the details are just too sharp to have been created solely by imagination.

Finally, I would like to end this review with a caveat: Suckers is not for everyone. It is slow and requires that you like spending time with Peter, the main character. It is also one of the best books I have ever read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suckers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like lane_vespertine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great review! I like that the author didn't need to have big booming moments and fireworks to drive the story. From your comments, this sounds like a really good, down to earth novel. I'll definitely add it to my list to check out.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
lane_vespertine

Lauren M wrote:Great review! I like that the author didn't need to have big booming moments and fireworks to drive the story. From your comments, this sounds like a really good, down to earth novel. I'll definitely add it to my list to check out.
Worth it. I get the feeling this book will be sticking around for awhile.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I really enjoyed your review! I loved the title of this book and I think I might enjoy the book also. Peter sounds like an interesting guy.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Monica R
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Monica R »

This sounds really interesting. I don't know anything about Yugoslavia but I'm very interested in the cultural aspects of immigration; I'll have to check this out after finishing my current read!
lane_vespertine

Elaine5 wrote:I really enjoyed your review! I loved the title of this book and I think I might enjoy the book also. Peter sounds like an interesting guy.
I noticed while looking up information about the book that the title had already changed to London for Immigrant Suckers. I wouldn't be shocked, if this book gets picked up for a large release, to see it shortened even more.
Peter, the main character in this book, is an interesting character in that he is just so different to what is most common in literature.
Worth the read if you have the time.

-- 10 Oct 2016, 09:21 --

Monica R wrote:This sounds really interesting. I don't know anything about Yugoslavia but I'm very interested in the cultural aspects of immigration; I'll have to check this out after finishing my current read!

Totes worth it.
readinguser

Post by readinguser »

What drew me to this book was your review. You couldn't write such a wonderful review if the book wasn't special. I downloaded it on Sunday and read it by Monday evening ( will read it again probably). It's refreshingly unusual read. The main character dislike of children is amusing. My favourite characters were William and Vlad. I bet they were/are real. I agree with you that is not for everyone and I like your enthusiasm regarding a large release, but... If it came out in the 1980's it would definitely gather a huge fan base. The readers of today are a different species, I don't think it will go any further from being a hidden gem on Amazon or Smashword.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, so I may have to check this one out.
Thank you for sharing! & Congrats to the author for receiving such a fantastic rating!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
lane_vespertine

No worries!
And I hope the author looks at the review, that'd be great!

-- 11 Oct 2016, 22:58 --
readinguser wrote:What drew me to this book was your review. You couldn't write such a wonderful review if the book wasn't special. I downloaded it on Sunday and read it by Monday evening ( will read it again probably). It's refreshingly unusual read. The main character dislike of children is amusing. My favourite characters were William and Vlad. I bet they were/are real. I agree with you that is not for everyone and I like your enthusiasm regarding a large release, but... If it came out in the 1980's it would definitely gather a huge fan base. The readers of today are a different species, I don't think it will go any further from being a hidden gem on Amazon or Smashword.
Interesting perspective!
I agree, this book definitely has a specific audience that might not do as well in the social media world of today. Perhaps with a dedicated and indefatigable champion (like how we all wish publishing companies were) it could move into its appropriate niche.
Also, thanks for letting me know you read it because of my review! That is awesome! I hope more people pick it up!
I too really liked Vlad. I specifically mentioned him when I wrote to the author and confirmed I had read the book.
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I'll go for this one as I'm getting increasingly fed up with vampires fantasies, complicated romances and angry can't- do- no wrong avengers. Thanks for the review.
lane_vespertine

twenty7 wrote:I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I'll go for this one as I'm getting increasingly fed up with vampires fantasies, complicated romances and angry can't- do- no wrong avengers. Thanks for the review.
Suckers is certainly a change of pace from those!

-- 18 Oct 2016, 08:17 --
klbradley wrote:I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, so I may have to check this one out.
Thank you for sharing! & Congrats to the author for receiving such a fantastic rating!
Very much worth checking out. Historical fiction can, at times, feel a bit forced. Suckers is not one of those. The characters are alive in their context.
Thanks for the reply, and I hope you read and end up liking it!
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

I really enjoyed this book. The slow and lonely start led to a kaleidoscope of characters and events which were a delight to follow. This is not a Holywood blockbuster but rather an independent, or even a French movie that you've never heard of but you find yourself enjoying every second of it. This is a brutally honest account of life told with humor and originality. I was very impressed with the very simple and yet effective outlook on Yugoslavia's demise. The author managed to handle a very complex issue with such ease. Maybe I shouldn't get too excited about this book, I was probably only in the right mood to read it but nevertheless, a very enjoyable experience. Frank Sinatra's ending was touching/brilliant.
lane_vespertine

twenty7 wrote:I really enjoyed this book. The slow and lonely start led to a kaleidoscope of characters and events which were a delight to follow. This is not a Holywood blockbuster but rather an independent, or even a French movie that you've never heard of but you find yourself enjoying every second of it. This is a brutally honest account of life told with humor and originality. I was very impressed with the very simple and yet effective outlook on Yugoslavia's demise. The author managed to handle a very complex issue with such ease. Maybe I shouldn't get too excited about this book, I was probably only in the right mood to read it but nevertheless, a very enjoyable experience. Frank Sinatra's ending was touching/brilliant.
I am really glad you read it!
The element that continues to stick with me weeks after having read it is the finesse in dealing with a complex political event. The reader has a clear understanding of events but without typical and boring expositions.
That combined with interesting characters makes for a great read, but that effortless way the author simplifies complexity is in itself reason enough for any reader to pick this book up.
I'm glad you pointed this out as well!
readingreader

Post by readingreader »

Sometimes I pick up a book because the cover or title looks interesting and this time it's both.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I went back and forth as to whether I should choose to read this book for an official review but something stopped me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You've made it sound like a far more worthy read than I expected.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Historical Fiction”