Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Post by rssllue »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles" by Ronald E. Yates.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles is a rollicking historical adventure written by Ronald E. Yates in which we travel along with the titular Billy Battles as he journeys about in the late 19th and early 20th century world. This is the 2nd book in what is to ultimately be a trilogy that follows Mr. Battles throughout his lifetime.

The book opens with an introduction from Billy as to what has gone on before the present time of 1894. At this point in his narrative, we find him on the SS China on his way to the Orient. He continues his story, by recounting his introduction to a very intriguing woman who is a fellow passenger on the ship with him. This woman, Frau Katharina von Schreiber, is to become a close and trusted companion through many adventures and years ahead. This trip from America to various parts of the East is really Billy’s way of running away from what he feels is currently a very unsettled and unhappy life (because of the events of the first book). However, the voyage and subsequent years spent in multiple countries in the Orient, add quite a bit of trouble to his life as well. It seems like Billy just can’t run away from it.

We follow Billy through the happenings on the China (quite the story in itself) which ultimately docks in Manila, where he and Katharina disembark. Here he meets her brother, Manfred, who owns a business there, and who also becomes a fast friend to Billy. After a relatively short stay in Manila, Billy leaves on another boat for Saigon and in doing so parts ways with the siblings. He has another raucous adventure on board this ship when it is attacked by pirates. Billy's fortitude shines through in this encounter as he meets this threat head-on with the other men aboard. Once the ship finally arrives safely in Saigon, Billy goes to look for his friend, Ba whom he last saw years before in America. Here he finds more adventure once again as he gets involved with insurgents who are looking to be free from the French who currently occupy their country.

All of this is just the beginning of the journeys in which the book takes Billy and the reader throughout the story. Billy finds himself caught up in the short Spanish-American War as well as the longer Philippine-American War. Adventure also follows him back to America where he is reunited with his young daughter and his mother who both end up getting pulled into the same danger he faces being back home. A trip to Europe is no less action filled as he and Katharina become involved in a conspiracy that threatens their very lives during their relatively brief stay there. Billy Battles has anything but a boring, mundane life to say the least. It can almost take your breath away trying to keep up with him and his adventures in this book.

Even though I had not read the first book in the trilogy, I never really felt lost in any respect throughout the book. Mr. Yates did an excellent job of revisiting any important events that he hearkened back to from the previous story. This seems to be something that is becoming somewhat rare to find, but was quite the pleasant surprise in this instance.

The author states in a note at the beginning of the book that it is a work of “faction” which he explains as being narrative fiction that is based at least partly on factual events. As you can probably expect, this brings many real historical individuals (both the well-known and more obscure) into the story at various points. Mr. Yates does a very good job of weaving the facts of history with his imagination throughout the entire story. I had to look up quite a few events and people from the book to differentiate between reality and the author’s embellishment. This just brought an added level of enjoyment to the story for me as it gave me a deeper understanding and connection with the happenings in the book and history.

Overall, I have to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical novels, adventure stories, or tales of the time period discussed. One quick caveat: there is a good deal of swearing throughout the book, but if this does not bother you, then I think that The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles will be quite the satisfactory read when all is said and done.

The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

"Faction"? Hahaha!
Man, that is funny!
Oh man! Right, back to the review.
Quick question: Why did you give it three stars and not four? Was it because of the swearing?
Other than that, great review!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you for the nice feedback. That is in fact why I reduced it to three instead of four stars. I would actually give it 3.5 stars if it were an option. It is still quite the enjoyable read nevertheless.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds like an engrossing adventure. I enjoyed reading your review and loved learning a new word....faction!

By the way, nice to see you posting again!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much, bookowlie. It is definitely quite the immersive experience.

Thanks. I have been recovering from shoulder surgery. Getting better little by little. :)

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:Thank you very much, bookowlie. It is definitely quite the immersive experience.

Thanks. I have been recovering from shoulder surgery. Getting better little by little. :)
Best wishes and prayers for a complete recovery. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much! :tiphat:

AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the review!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

It was a great adventure! It was my pleasure. :)

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Just reading this review made me tired :shock:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

:lol: That was definitely not my intent. It is quite the action-packed book though. Nary a dull moment!

MartinSzukala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MartinSzukala »

just wanna say hi to everyone, i'm new here.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Hello! I hope you enjoy the reviews and all that this site has to offer!

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

rssllue wrote: :lol: That was definitely not my intent. It is quite the action-packed book though. Nary a dull moment!
That is definitely a plus :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I am pleased that it is a positive. 8)

Return to “Historical Fiction”