Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vnod adhikari
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 16

Re: Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Post by vnod adhikari »

Wow an excellent novel about 1950s woman overcoming stalking and abuse to take charge of her career and love life.
I am putting this on my 'book to read' list.
NerdGrace
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgrace.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by NerdGrace »

Sounds like a very interesting read especially since its about empowering women. Thanks for the great review, now my interest in reading this one tonight has reached its peak.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Interesting. An error free book about a pivotal moment in history. Definitely one to read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
rkgemes
Currently Reading: Opposites Attract
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkgemes.html
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson

Post by rkgemes »

I just finished reading The Other Side of Him. I enjoyed this book. Claire was seeking out her independence and her own life. She had her goals set, a game plan, and to do better. I thought that was awesome especially for the time period in the book. Claire's brother was irritating to me and his double standards (don't tell mom about me but I will tell mom about you without your permission) made me angry. Her mom was set in her own ways and wanted Claire to go by the standards. I like that Claire broke out and went HER way.
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson
Tolentino
Currently Reading: Shades of Justice: Age of Magic - A Kurtherian Gambit Series
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Tolentino »

Nice book
rachellabrum1
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rachellabrum1 »

While I agree with most of the review and felt it a pleasant and easy read, I didn't feel as emotional attached to it or the characters and plot as I do with other historical fiction. Perhaps it's the time period that doesn't really appeal to me, hence why I never could get into watching Mad Men. It did serve the purpose of teaching me a couple of things I may not have been aware of without being bored to death by a text book, which is one aspect of historical fiction I'm very fond of. In particular, what Burbank and other areas of California looked like during this time period were very interesting points to a native Southern Californian like myself. :-)

Return to “Historical Fiction”