Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Side of Him" by Alice Rene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alice Rene’s historical fiction novel The Other Side of Him takes us back to life in America during the 1950s. Living in the Chicago slums, Claire Wagner is the daughter of a German immigrant – not necessarily something to be proud of just after World War 2 – who wants more for her life than just marriage. She supports herself through college and then heads off to San Francisco to attend graduate school studying medical social work. Her brother sets her up on a blind date with Greg, a charming older man with an established career as a surgeon and a passion for a sophisticated lifestyle. Claire is drawn into his high-class world, but, as an independent woman, she is quickly turned off by his controlling behaviors and strong words. Perhaps Greg isn’t as perfect as he appears to be.

Prior to the historical, well-known feminist movement of the 1960s-70s, this book takes place in a time period when women were considered vulnerable, weak, and overall inferior to men. Even within her own home from her own family members, Claire dealt with discrimination for the simple fact that she was a young woman. Her mother didn’t support her decision to go to college and always pushed her to get married because it was all that a woman was expected to do. Her brother brushed aside her concerns and insisted she must have been mistaken when she turned to him for help dealing with Greg. Despite the feeling that the whole world was against her, Claire remained strong and didn’t cave in to the pressures of society, which is one point that I loved most about this novel.

The plot moves along at a steady pace; it’s not full of action or suspense that will necessarily keep readers on the edge of their seats, but it certainly doesn’t induce boredom. I found it to be engaging enough that multiple chapters had flown by in a single sitting, and I was always intrigued about what was yet to come for Claire. The setting and time period – neither of which I have personally experienced – were also quite fun to read about, and I could easily picture myself in the scenes right along with the characters.

I credit my enjoyment of this book to the amazing writing style of the author. She managed to capture and entrance me with her words. While simple and easy to follow, I also felt like there was something poetic about the way the story was told. The bits of German added in here and there, mostly thanks to Claire’s wonderfully portrayed mother, only enhanced this experience and made me realize how beautiful language can be, regardless of the language being spoken.

As for negatives of the book, I found only a single punctuation typo in the entire text (a comma instead of a period at the end of a sentence). Plot-wise and story-wise, I can give no criticisms at all. Normally, I’m not much a historical fiction fan, but something about this book called out to me, and I am so glad I followed my instincts. Following your instincts is usually a good thing, as Claire and I both know. It is with great pleasure that I give The Other Side of Him a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to those who enjoy historical or women’s fiction.

The Other Side of Him
View: on Bookshelves

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Wow this book sounds amazing! I'm a fan of certain types of historical fiction and this book seems to be one of them. I would love to read more about how Claire deals with her situation. I'm going to put this book on my to read list. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

CrescentMoon wrote:Wow this book sounds amazing! I'm a fan of certain types of historical fiction and this book seems to be one of them. I would love to read more about how Claire deals with her situation. I'm going to put this book on my to read list. Thanks for the great review!
Please read it and then let me know what you think!
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

What an intriguing plot! Your great review has me curious about this book. :) I haven't read many (any?) books from that time period, so maybe I should give this one a try!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I know! Me neither! It's in that weird transition period where there wasn't much going on in the country except amazing pop culture (music specifically), so it's just kind of glanced over in the history books because it was actually a peaceful time for a brief moment. At least in terms of the man's world. :roll:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and well written book. As a self-declared feminist, I like stories about independent women and this book seems like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Alice Rene on such a positive review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting and well written book. As a self-declared feminist, I like stories about independent women and this book seems like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Alice Rene on such a positive review.
I highly approve of this comment.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

This book sounds really great. Thanks for your positive review. I enjoy romantic historical fiction, so I'll add this to my to read list.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds good. Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Your review is excellent. I enjoyed reading your review and you have talked me into adding the book into my "want to read" list. :) Thank you!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical novel revolving around life in America during the 1950s sounds enticing. Claire sure sounds quite the character. I like the fact that she remained strong, didn't act as women were expected to do at her time, and didn’t cave into the pressures of others. I am not sure this is for me, but I am glad the author managed to capture you with her words. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Claire represents all women who are considered weak, vulnerable, and the main focus must be marriage. I like her character for not living up to the expectation of the society. It takes someone special or different to do her/his own thing. I believe this book is a good read for feminists.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I was always into stories based on true fact and it will be interesting to read this one too. It seems that Claire has a very strong character. I will gladly read about her life and how she coped with all the hardships.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I don’t normally read historical fiction either but Claire’s story does sound intriguing. A strong independent woman living in the time before the feminist movement had to have a rough go of it. Definitely adding this to my TBR. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

Thanks for a really good review. I am a fan of historical fiction if it accurately represents a time period. This book definitely sounds interesting, since I especially like books with strong women as protagonists.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Return to “Historical Fiction”