Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Re: Official Review: The Other Side of Him by Alice Rene

Post by okayode »

Fine review..i was expecting more (Romance) to this book than this Claire's independence and survival in an era before the feminist movement and all that (historical).
Anyway, this story isn't bad as she eventually coped with the societal pressure.
Congrats on BOTD. I will read it
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this review, very interesting, love historical fiction. I'm not a feminist but enjoy reading about the historical experience of being female in a male dominated world.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think this book tackles an important subject. I’m glad you found the writing so successful.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

It seems like an interesting book to read. I've always wondered how life was for women before Feminism, and I admire Claire for stepping up, looking for her independence in a society with "traditional" values. Thank you for the review.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thank you for an amazing review. Being a child of the 60’s myself I experienced the very beginning or what seemed like the beginning of the feminist movement. But I certainly felt, many times, discrimination of myself as a female and women in general. I hope to read this book; I read a few chapters and really liked it.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed the novel. For me, I think it'll be interesting to see how Claire handles what life throws at her. I think I'll give this book a shot sometime in the future.
knelly
Currently Reading: Juvenile Delinquency
Bookshelf Size: 152

Post by knelly »

i love stories like this which empowers women out there instead of a system that treats women as second class citizens. I commend Claire for her prowess. Great book for feminists. I will definitely give it a try.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like an excellent historical fiction that is able to instruct/advise on the time period directly following WW2 and some of the stereotypes suffered during this period. Although the official OBC review stated a slight lack of action, this is still one I think I'd like to check out.
shree_reads
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shree-reads.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by shree_reads »

Wow this book seems really intriguing. I love reading historical fiction, and this book seems to combine that with many other topics I am passionate about. I've already downloaded it and looking forward to read it soon!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I too felt something instinctual while reading about this book. It sounds like an unmissable story...a story about triumph over domestic violence. Strong women characters are so important, especially now. Thanks for your insight.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

:darth: The other side of Him is good and interesting historical fiction revolving around life of America during 1950s.Claire as independent women represents all women who are considered weak,helpless and vulnerable.good review.
Sammy Rose
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-rose.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Sammy Rose »

I am not one to go for historical fiction. I wouldn't have read this book before reading this review. After reading a little more story background, I am going to give this one a try!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historic fiction, and this book sounds especially unique given that it's about a woman who was strong before the feminist revolution. The issue of Claire being the daughter of a German immigrant shortly after World War II is also compelling and promises some tension. Thank you for the thorough and insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
chozella
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by chozella »

I love this type of novel and I'm going to read this book. Thank you for a concise review. I love how Claire thinks outside the box and in spite of the pressure society places on women in her era, Claire follows her heart to do what she believes that she has to do. Awesome!
felm0078
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by felm0078 »

I really love the courage and détermination of Claire, and how she handles the whole issues surrounding. This reflects the power of an enlightened woman despite the odds and traditions of our communities, especially how a woman is viewed. I would really wish to Read more on how she handles her situation at a later stage....

Return to “Historical Fiction”