Official Review: Angelos by David Holdsworth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Official Review: Angelos by David Holdsworth

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angelos" by David Holdsworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate Angelos by David Holdsworth 3 out of 4 stars. It is a great story with bits of history incorporated. It focuses on religion and conflict, both internally and externally, in an intense read. I personally would have liked more history throughout the story. The poetry and prayers dispersed throughout the book are beautiful. They are the perfect mixture of love, loss, anger, and faith. The length of the book is perfect. I recommend this book for anyone who would like a quick but great read.

The story focuses on Davy who lives in a small and peaceful Scottish village during 1746. It opens up during a legendary battle where Davy is facing down a once close friend. The story then travels back though Davy’s past. A meeting with a mysterious outcast when he was a child offers him a cryptic foretelling tells of his tragic future. He loses everything when his friend betrays him. The story than circles back to the beginning where his religion and love drive him to make a difficult choice.

There is an introduction prior to the story that tells quite a bit of history during that time in the area of the Scottish Highlands. Unfortunately there wasn’t much history throughout the story. I believe that more history would have taken away form the overall story. In my opinion the author made the right choice in using the introduction for the history.

The fact that Davy relies on his religion during his heartbreak is very uplifting. The lengths that he goes to are inspiring. I happened to read this book during a rather difficult time and his will and determination made me realize that all things are possible. After reading Angelos I realized I could conquer all my troubles with help from my faith and morals.

Holdsworth manages to tell a great story in a short amount of pages. Davy’s story is told form his early childhood until his adult life. The author focuses only on what is important to the immediate story and leaves out all the unimportant parts. This makes the book short while still managing to tell a great story.

This is an amazing book. Davy’s plight helped me through difficult times. I would have liked more history during the actual story, but I do believe it would have cheapened the overall story. The author’s decision to use an introduction was a fantastic addition. The book was short enough to read in a sitting while being long enough to enjoy. I would recommend this book to anyone. It is a great story that you won’t be able to nor want to put down. It is the best book I have read in quite a while.

Angelos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an inspiring book with an endearing character. It seems like the author's use of history to introduce the story works well. Good job on the review.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I love reading about Scottish history, and poems and prayers interspersed throughout sounds excellent! Thank you for sharing!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Historical Fiction”