Official Review: The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth" by David Lane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The political climate in 18th-century France is tense. Though the king purports to value the people, an air of discontent is quickly turning into hostility. Fear and betrayal lead to a notorious revolution, and the royal family is no longer safe in their own country. In The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth, author David Lane combines the art form made famous by William Shakespeare with historical events that live in infamy to present a play that is at once beautiful, gripping, and heart-rending.

The most important thing a prospective reader needs to know about The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth is that it is highly stylized. The play is written entirely in traditional blank verse, which is unrhymed iambic pentameter. The language is poetic and archaic; some readers might find it difficult to understand. Even the title is stylized. In pre-Romantic poetic forms, the author explains in his introduction to the play, names and places were Anglicized. Likewise, Louis XVI’s name is spelled “Lewis” in the play.

For me, the best aspect of this book is the language. The beauty of this blank verse format is the way it showcases the possibilities of the English language. As I read the play, I made a list of some truly fabulous words that I wish people could use more often: lickpennies, wolving, boggling ninnies, premonish, enisle, multiloquacious, and contumeliously. There were also some amazing lines that recalled some of Shakespeare’s gems that people still quote 400 years later. For example, in Act 1, Scene 3, King Lewis XVI uses the phrase “brought abubble by combustion of events”. In Act II, Scene 1, John Paul Marat declares, “I go to set the world upon its wig.” King Lewis XVI refers to the English Channel as a “flying Sleeve of Ocean” in Act V, Scene 1, and in the following scene, Count von Fersen articulates, “Thy miserable words are spinach.” These are just a few examples, but they show how extremely expressive this writing form can be.

As an added bonus, the book also includes a poem after the end of the play. Titled A Young Poet’s Elegy to the Court of God, this poem is another exploration into the blank verse style. Like the play, the poem is written in unrhymed iambic pentameter. It also maintains the style of language found in the play. Instead of being focused on a story or an event, the poem switches gears and is more philosophical and introspective. The theological narrative of Lucifer’s rebellion in the first part might remind readers of a similar narrative in Milton’s Paradise Lost. As the poem moves on, it considers inspiration and what it means to be a poet.

For me, David Lane’s The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth more than merits 4 out of 4 stars. It is an exciting, well-crafted example of a literary form that is rarely made new. However, this will not be a good choice for all readers. If you can read a Shakespeare play in its original form and enjoy it, try this book. If that idea makes you flinch as you flashback to high school English class, Mr. Lane’s book is probably not the best choice. For any willing to accept the challenge, I am confident that you will agree with me that this book is a veritable treasure.

The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I'm definitely one of those who balk at the idea of reading the original form of Shakespeare, but I'm glad you were able to appreciate the book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! That is overwhelming. I'm not sure I would enjoy the book but I'm glad you like it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to David Lane.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Sounds fascinating! Good review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I don't tend to enjoy reading plays. This is of course because plays are meant to be watched and not read. This does sound really interesting though. Great job on the review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I was honestly never a fan of plays in school, in fact I hated them. This sounds worth checking out though! Wonderful review! :)
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Did it take you very long to get into the rhythm or reading verse?
Also, on a unrelated note, I recently teased someone for making up words when they used "multiloquacious" in a sentence. Maybe I was wrong? Still sort of sounds made up though ;)
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I'd say it took me maybe a page or two to get into the rhythm, and the effect was repeated every time I had to put the book down and pick it back up again. It's the same for me when I read any verse of this sort.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A highly stylized play about the life King Lewis? Sounds interesting enough. It is nice that the author added a poem after the end of the play. I am glad you enjoyed the writing and the play. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

Not a book I think I would read. Unfortunately I am one of those people you referred to, who flinches with flashbacks to high school. Nicely written review though. I appreciate your ability to describe the book in a way that enabled me to understand what it is about. I saw the Amazon reviews and I think I had more difficulty trying to understand what they were saying than I would reading the actual book.
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

For some reason, I like the classical English of the Shakespeare era. This book appeals to me.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

The review for the book was nicely written, detailing a glimpse of the play and how the lines were written. I am not a fan of plays, but the story seems intriguing. Also, the review was positive that makes readers want to read the story.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This is such an impressive review. I'm definitely up for the challenge, I've always had an appreciation for plays and poetry. This book sounds amazing!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely unusual to see a new book written in this format. It sounds interesting. I'm not sure it's for me. To me, you almost have to hear these read aloud or acted out for it to make sense. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Boggling ninnies! Hehee! Fantastic review! When my students learn about Shakespeare and read Romeo & Juliet, I have them write insults in Shakespeare's language, and they get a kick out of it. :-) However, the play R&J is a bit easier to read because it was written in Iambic Pentameter...with the ababcdcdefefgg rhyme scheme. Blank verse may be a bit more difficult, but I'm up for the challenge! Thank you so much!

Return to “Historical Fiction”