Official Review: The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Official Review: The Tragedy of King Lewis the Sixteenth

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

No one like tragic experience, but in story telling, tragedy is one of the best ways to convey fiction stories. This is because, it makes readers to reflect inward. As you think, feel for or regret with the character you are reading about, you at the same time see yourself thinking about your own life or situations, what to correct, adjust or stop. This story is like the seasonal movies I watched some time ago about King Frances. I love this kind of story and the review has made it more interesting- good review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

If you can see Shakespeare in this book, it must be a gem. I myself know that Shakespeare's writings are more than great, but my collection of his complete works is right now gathering its own collection of motes and insects.

Thanks for your enthusiastic review. It is obvious that you enjoyed the book.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

A good way to learn history is through a play. I heard about King Lewis the Sixteenth in school so this could refresh my memory. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

Am kinda excited reading both the excerpts and the review It sort of left some kind of sweet and sour taste in the mind such that I can't help but feel it would be fun reading the complete book.

Thanks for this awesome review.
Ashley Nestler
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-nestler.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ashley Nestler »

I love plays that are based on history! This looks like a well-crafted portrait, and I can't wait to try it out. Thank you for the great review!
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."

—Charles Bukowski
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Thank you for a grest reviee. Historical fiction written in classical literature style is a bit much for me... plus I've never been a fan of play wrights. It does seem to be beautifully written though. Thank you for your insightful review.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

The plot and writing style of this sounds really wonderful, though I did not enjoy Shakespeare as much so I may not love this one. I'll give it a try though.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

When I read the book's synopsis, I figured it wasn't for me, but upon reading your review, I'm even more certain that's the case. I do like the idea of learning new words and phrases and reading great poetry stylings, but the rest, I think, is more than I can stomach...Thanks for the review, though.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Being a history student, it does incite interest in me. However, the Shaspearean language is a bit difficult to understand so I'll see if I can go through with it. Good job on the review though.
strike-aster
Currently Reading: The War of Words
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by strike-aster »

Great review. It really describes very well what the book is all about. It is very unique having a different format in reading the book itself. It also makes me remember my high school days in learning the plays of Shakespeare. I also appreciated that the author provided a poem after each play which makes it even more interesting.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I got a copy today, I'm going to give this a try. The style of writing may give me a headache, but I'll never know if I don't try it. Thank you for the review, if I can get used to Blank verse, it looks like an exciting read. Thanks again!
derekkirima
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by derekkirima »

Thanks for the good, simplified review. Those like me, who studied Shakespeare in high school know that the English used then was rather complicated and not interesting at all for contemporary usage but done by final years students of literature. The book reminds me of Shakespeare's Act this, Scene that, and the centuries famous but tragic story of Romeo and Juliet. But I liked all Shakespeare works, and I will definitely read this play understanding very well from you that the language used is poetic and archaic. It's good that the author adds a poem at the end of the play which seems more philosophical and introspective thus drawing more attraction and interest to the book. Kudos for great review, high rating and congrats to the author of the BOTD considering his rare way of writing in present time.
Guest028
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Guest028 »

The political scenario in France during the 18th century is silhouetted as very crucial with the air filled with discontent and hostility leaving all the kings effort fruitless. Notorious revolution captured a common place in the country reckoning the royal family in unsafe grounds in their own motherland.

The author has beautifully culminated the Shakespearean writing style of making the historical events vivid in the eyes of the readers.David Lane has done a wonderful job of giving the potential readers an opportunity to get acclimatized with the high stylized form of art. The book silhouettes a traditional blank verse with unrhymed iambic pentameter. Readers will come across a poetic and archaic form of writing which may pose some comprehension issues. The book for me presented all the possibilities of English language in the form of blank verse format. The added bonus of the book is in the poem after the end of the play which is another exploration into the blank verse style. The poem cascades from philosophical to introspective form. David Lane’s book probably might not be the best choice but definitely holds invaluable veritable treasure at the disposal of the readers.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Thanks for the review.
A play akin to Shakespeare certainly would not be an ideal book for a casual read given that there are vocabulary items that need to be understood. But definitely a book which can be read for holidays.
Great job.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I'd really like something similar to Shakespeare! It might be a bit difficult to follow but exciting all the same. Congrats on the nice review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”