Featured Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Re: Featured Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

The Water Trade by Rob Smith- after watching the cover of this book I thought maybe this book will be a historical type, and I don't like history too much...but after reading this book I get interested in this book. I enjoyed this lovely book...
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Sounds like an interesting book. I'm curious to know what kind of outcome resulted from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, if you say, "The results of the attack on the characters are not what we expect." Although I generally don't care for war-related historical fiction, I'm willing to see if it reels me in like it did you. Thanks for the succinct review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Maliscoth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maliscoth »

Sex and sensuality are implied at times, but the word “entertainment” is how the author explains the system. This is just the beginning of the details Smith gives us throughout the story. The Water Trade is a work of fiction, loosely based on a true story, which primarily takes place during World War 2 in Hawaii and the decade afterwards. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars cause it caught my attention, and believe other readers will feel same way.
Yhushey
Currently Reading: Chasing The Red Queen

Post by Yhushey »

Wow... Great review, the book is intresting, am nt really into history but this got my attention on how its been review, thanks for the review
Realread22

Post by Realread22 »

Getting to read the review of the book "The Water Trade" by Rob Smith gives an insight overview of what the book is about. It is an interesting review not to miss.
kimcha06
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by kimcha06 »

I really love to read something historical story and I am lucky I found this book. I really like it even currently reading it now and I am so excited to read it until the end.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story set in WWII era with intertwined characters sounds interesting. This historical book would appeal to many. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

It feels like the story of people who lived in Hawaii prior to Pearl Harbor focuses on the perspective of Caucasian people so seeing a story told from a different perspective sounds unique.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds very captivating, although I always worry that I'll figure out the mystery too soon. Maybe that won't be the case this time. Either way, the time period and culture involved in this book are ones that I don't know much about, so it should serve as a good learning experience if this book is well researched. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you for the well written review of this book in which the story is weaved around Japans water trade before and after world war 2 and the story seems quite interesting when the character Miyuki meets an American sailor, named Smitty, with whom she becomes attached quickly and learns that people are not always the ones like she thought before.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

The question here is: what is not to like on this book. For me this is a book that screams read me immediately. I love japanese culture and stories. And history too. I am exited to see how the characters lived post pearl harbor incident. This book has everything to make it an awesome read.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

The question here is: what is not to like on this book. For me this is a book that screams read me immediately. I love japanese culture and stories. And history too. I am exited to see how the characters lived post pearl harbor incident. This book has everything to make it an awesome read.
Kavengi123

Post by Kavengi123 »

As a person who is fond of learning new cultures, I was happy to learn about the Japanese culture. I can't get bored when reading other people's way of life.the sexuality expressed in this book makes it even more interesting for young people like me.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Considering the first chapter and your review, I will add this book to my reading list. I liked the metaphor of the title and the unique story line following a Japanese spy suffering from bypolar disorder.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Sympathyodeh

Post by Sympathyodeh »

this is one of the great book ever it quite intresting, the most intresting part of this book, water trade by smith Rob is like reading a real story, like movie. i'm gonna add to my list it's very educative.

Return to “Historical Fiction”