Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Goodbye Bombay by Gry Finsnes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: Goodbye Bombay by Gry Finsnes

Post Number:#1 by Serena [Poetree]
» 29 Jul 2016, 14:12

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Goodbye Bombay" by Gry Finsnes.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Serena [Poetree]
Share This Review

Goodbye Bombay gives readers a captivating glimpse into the life of an expat in India during the 1980s.

When a loved one ends up at the hospital in a coma, Christine’s friend Phoebe comes over to take her mind off the situation by asking about her life in India. Christine reluctantly begins a detailed account of what happened after she, her husband, and their young daughter moved to India for her husband’s work—the places they visited, the people they met, and the relationships that formed and twisted and shattered.

The book has an interesting structure, being almost entirely dialogue. The present-day is narrated by Christine in first person present tense, and her story in India, of course, is told through conversation with Phoebe and a few moments of silent reminiscing. While Phoebe’s interjections—comments, questions, etc.—do help keep the dialogue feeling realistic, Christine often recounts specific details and even entire conversations that make her tale sound too scripted

However, Christine’s story is easy to get swept up in. Gry Fisnes really pulled me in, almost as if I were in India, or at least listening along with Phoebe. Vivid, colorful imagery brings to life narratives of beautiful landscapes, formal gatherings, and many small adventures. And food! From a mushroom omelet with tomato salad in Britain to curries, naan, and samosas in India, all of the food is richly, deliciously, tantalizingly described.

I rather disliked Christine, unfortunately—she seemed to me somewhat irrational and very self-centered—and I also didn’t like the love interest almost from the moment he was introduced. I think Fisnes tried very hard to make him sound romantic and endearing, but I thought he reeked of dishonesty. And I’m so very tired of reading about affairs and broken marriages. Can we, for once, have a contemporary about a healthy relationship?

Phoebe, in contrast, is such a good friend. She distracts Christine by asking about India, makes her dinner, encourages her to go for a walk, and listens intently and actively to her story. I also loved Ruth, who is confident, kind, and a loyal friend to Christine in India.

Although I appreciated the unique structure and vivid detail, the disappointing morals, unlikable protagonist, and smattering of typos and errors brings my rating to 2 out of 4 stars. An avid reader of romance may enjoy Goodbye Bombay, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I hoped for a story of India; I got an affair.

Goodbye Bombay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Serena [Poetree]'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Serena [Poetree]'s Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Serena [Poetree]

Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 637 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Goodbye Bombay by Gry Finsnes

Post Number:#2 by kimmyschemy06
» 01 Aug 2016, 21:04

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the unlikable protagonist and numerous errors. Nice job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Apostates Book Three
Bookshelf Size: 316 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#3 by bookowlie
» 04 Aug 2016, 12:11

I really enjoyed reading your review. I also read and reviewed this book several months ago and agree with many of your points. Like you, I found the main character self-absorbed and unlikeable. The dialogue did feel a little too scripted instead of easy-going conversation between friends.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "Act Two For Three" by Barbara Fox
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#4 by Serena [Poetree]
» 04 Aug 2016, 15:02

bookowlie wrote:I really enjoyed reading your review. I also read and reviewed this book several months ago and agree with many of your points. Like you, I found the main character self-absorbed and unlikeable. The dialogue did feel a little too scripted instead of easy-going conversation between friends.

Thank you!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who felt that way about it.
Serena [Poetree]

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by bookowlie
» 04 Aug 2016, 15:09

It really annoyed me that Christine and her friend were enjoying themselves and reminiscing while drinking wine and having leisurely meals! Christine's ***(no spoilers) was lying in the hospital in a coma and they would be joking around all the time talking about her illicit affair. I always wondered if the book was loosely based on the author's own experiences.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "Act Two For Three" by Barbara Fox
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#6 by Serena [Poetree]
» 04 Aug 2016, 15:40

bookowlie wrote:It really annoyed me that Christine and her friend were enjoying themselves and reminiscing while drinking wine and having leisurely meals! Christine's ***(no spoilers) was lying in the hospital in a coma and they would be joking around all the time talking about her illicit affair. I always wondered if the book was loosely based on the author's own experiences.

Oh my goodness, yes! I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, if she was so worried about the hospitalized person, she wasn't spending the majority of her time there!
Serena [Poetree]

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by gali
» 17 Aug 2016, 22:40

Good review! Not my cup of tea either. I hope you will enjoy your next book more,
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1617 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#8 by stoppoppingtheP
» 18 Aug 2016, 04:27

Serena [Poetree] wrote:. I hoped for a story of India; I got an affair.

I was also expecting a story about India. Disappointing.
“remember,
you were a writer
before
you ever
put
pen to paper.
just because you were not writing
externally.
does not mean you were not writing
internally.”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stoppoppingtheP

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 108 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 14%

Post Number:#9 by Cee-Jay Aurinko
» 18 Aug 2016, 06:54

So sorry you didn't get your dose of India. Lol. Great review!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Cee-Jay Aurinko's Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 2%