The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Purple Empress
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5284

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Post by Purple Empress »

The White Queen is the first in Gregory's series The Cousins' War. It follows the life of Elizabeth Woodville who eventually becomes queen of England after marrying King Edward IV.
It is told entirely from Elizabeth's point of view and I believe it stays true to the story line of what actually happened at that point in history, with some elements of magic and creative story telling to fill in some blanks and uncertainties (which you don't even notice could be out of place). The writing flows quickly and naturally, it definitely kept a 17 year old girl interested.
It definitely made me want to read more of her books and has taught me a great deal as well.

This is probably the first historical fiction novel I have ever read and I can say that it has certainly opened my eyes to this genre. I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the War of the Roses.
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

Thanks for the review! What an interesting take on a historical fiction novel to add an element of magic to it.
annliz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annliz »

I thoroughly enjoyed this one...the Red Queen is just as interesting...
booklover1
Currently Reading: Sole Guidance
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1.html
Reading Device: B0054OWZVY

Post by booklover1 »

Loved this book, but I also enjoy reading about this time period and about the Queens and Kings of England.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I love all of Phillipa Gregory's books! The White Queen was the first one I read by her and I've loved her queen books ever since!
Purple Empress
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Purple Empress »

annliz wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this one...the Red Queen is just as interesting...
Yes, definitely! I like that the Cousin's War books (those I have read already) are set in the same time, but just from different points of view. It's interesting to see how different people from different situations perceive the same thing.
Beachcomber+
Currently Reading: The wind up bird chronicles
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beachcomber.html

Post by Beachcomber+ »

I have read all of the Cousin's War Series and think this one and the second one, The Red Queen are the best. The later ones, like the King's Curse aren't as gripping!
Mistyrainbowrose
Currently Reading: Revealed

Post by Mistyrainbowrose »

I really enjoyed Gregory's The Red Queen. The White Queen wasn't as good, imo. It was written differently, not as realistic, to me.
MelissaNathan12
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissanathan12.html

Post by MelissaNathan12 »

I am a huge fan of Philippa Gregory and her work but this wasn't a favorite of mine. It took me a while to get into the story line and muddle through the book. It wasn't so much the content of the book but the voice in which it was written was a little flat to me even with all the magic, etc. thrown in.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I love this time period and reading about royalty. I think I will take a look for this book.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

I came across the Cousins War books after watching the BBC series of the White Queen. As a lover of anything medieval I quickly bought a number of Philippa Gregory’s books. Needless to say I have read nearly all of her novels and have loved every one of them! The White Wueen is no exception, being enjoyable and gripping with the fantastic element of magic added in there. Would definitely recommend this to people who love the medieval period!
Phyllis9509

Post by Phyllis9509 »

I love Phillipa Gregory's books and the time period they take place in. My first book by her was "Wideacre" and that was all it took and I was hooked. I have read the "Cousins War" books. I have read all her books that I have been able to find. I am now reading "Stormbringers" which is the second title in her "Order of Darkness" series. It is a on a different journey from her other books, this book deals with the searching out and report signs of the end of the world.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

Thanks for the quick review! This one has been on my reading list for a while. I love all Phillipa Gregory's work. I"ll be sure to move this one up the list.
LeonieVR

Post by LeonieVR »

Phillipa Gregory is such a wonderful writer! I enjoy reading her books a lot! Her writing style makes you feel so part of the story that you actually feel absorbed into that world...part of another era!
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I loved the White Queen. I also read the other books in the series, but this one was by far my favorite. I learned so much about this time period while reading these books and found it all fascinating. Highly recommended to all lovers of historical fiction.

Return to “Historical Fiction”