Official Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There comes a time when a story touches your heart and you wish there was more to read. This is exactly what happened to me in the historical fiction romance, Yesterday by Samyann. In this work of fiction the author tells the story of a brokenhearted young woman and the man who tries to convince her of the deep love they have for each other.

Amanda Parker has vowed to never let anyone close to her again. She has lost so many loved ones and is fearful for anyone that gets too close. That is until one day, with a mix of adrenaline and instinct, she saves the very handsome Chicago policeman, Mark Callahan. Instantly feeling a bond between the two, both adults begin to understand that there is more to their story than meets the eye.

Take a journey with Amanda and Mark as they explore the lives in which they once lived. Through the difficult times of the American Civil War, the bond felt between slaves and the white children they vowed to take care of, and The Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Amanda learns more about herself and what life is truly about. Now, all Mark needs to do is somehow convince her that their love is real and she should not let her past tragedies keep them apart.

When I first picked up this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. The plot seemed somewhat intriguing, but the idea of reincarnation was a bit off-putting for me. However, after reading some of the positive reviews for Yesterday, I decided to give it try. I am pleased to say how thrilled I am that I did!

Written in the third-person omniscient point of view, Samyann does a beautiful job in giving his characters a chance to tell their stories. He allows them to take the lead in both the present Chicago and their reincarnated pasts. Through both storylines, it was easy to care and sympathize for the protagonists, which in turn made the story more appealing. It is noteworthy to mention that when the characters “time-traveled” to their past lives, the author made it abundantly clear when and where the story was taking place.

A novel that brings in history into the mix, most often, I deem a worthy read because you are able to learn as you read. Reading a fictional storyline about the difficulties people faced in the South during the American Civil War, and the struggles and troubling times of the Chicago Fire in 1871 nearly broke my heart. It helped me to remember these very real times and appreciate my life.

With themes of friendship, losing hope, trust, and everlasting love, Samyann has scripted a tale that I felt honored to read. I happily give this well-written book a 4 out of 4 stars rating and recommend it to those who enjoy romantic reads that involve history and don't mind some time traveling thrown in the mix.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A journey into the past sounds enticing. I almost chose this book, but I couldn't make up my mind. A love story that takes place during two time periods sounds like a great book for lovers of reincarnation stories. It is good that the author made it clear when each story-line takes place. Inserting bits of history enriches the tale. Thank you for the awesome review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, gali! :)

I passed on it once or twice, as well. But, I'm so glad that I chose it! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

'South' during the 'American Civil War' reminds me of Gone With the Wind :) . The book sounds very interesting and a tearjerker. I hope I get the chance to read it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Samyann on such an obviously well-written book.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kind of does, doesn't it? :) There is a lot of emotion that goes on in this book. That's probably why I liked it so much. If you do get a chance to read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wonderful, insightful review! I am not sure this story is my cup of tea since I don't usually like the reincarnation theme in books. Still, you made the plot sound so interesting and I do like historical fiction. I will have to check out the Amazon sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie, for your kind words! I don't usually like reincarnation either, but I just thought of it as time traveling more than reincarnation and I was able to enjoy the story. :)

Hope you enjoy the sample! Who knows you might be intrigued enough to get the book. ;)
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Time travel is a good way to think of the theme. Somehow reincarnation makes me think of creepy ghosts. :)

By the way, time travel is becoming such a popular theme in books!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This was definitely not creepy! I think there was one scene where the author tried the ghostly creepy thing, but it was so quick that I just ignored it and it never happened again. I think the author put that scene in there as a way to get the ball rolling with going back to the historical parts.

Time travel is a very popular theme! I liked this one in particular because it was based on true events.
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I didn't realize it's based on true events! Now I am more interested. :)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When the main character lives through/time travels back, she is a child during the American Civil War, and some years later, a teenager through the Great Chicago Fire. So she is a fictional character during these actual events in American history.

I'm glad you're more interested. :)
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It sounds like she was a very busy girl. :)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Haha, yeah. She didn't have the most stable upbringing. :)
Heidi

Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Samyann »

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments about Yesterday, especially to hsimone for the terrific review.

Here’s a little author perspective on creating the story I hope you all find interesting. Although the story is loaded with historical facts, that which prompted me to write Yesterday is the history of the bells of St. Michael’s Church. That little tidbit of history completely fascinated me and I wondered what it must have been like for the people who hid the bells from the Confederate army. I imaged watching the tower, like little Bonnie, and thought if she was a child in 1862, she would have been a teenager during The Great Chicago Fire of 1871. I’m from Chicago, and this got my squirrelly mind in a whirl and the rest just sort of fell into place.

Again, thanks so much for the review and interest.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Samyann wrote:Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments about Yesterday, especially to hsimone for the terrific review.

Here’s a little author perspective on creating the story I hope you all find interesting. Although the story is loaded with historical facts, that which prompted me to write Yesterday is the history of the bells of St. Michael’s Church. That little tidbit of history completely fascinated me and I wondered what it must have been like for the people who hid the bells from the Confederate army. I imaged watching the tower, like little Bonnie, and thought if she was a child in 1862, she would have been a teenager during The Great Chicago Fire of 1871. I’m from Chicago, and this got my squirrelly mind in a whirl and the rest just sort of fell into place.

Again, thanks so much for the review and interest.
It was such a pleasure reading your book and I'm glad I had the chance to! :)

The history of the bells was fascinating! I'm glad you brought it up. Sometimes it's so hard to mention all the uniqueness of a book like this holds.

I also thought it was creative that you thought of a way for Bonnie to experience both significant events of American history. I knew of both, but always categorized them separately, so I loved how you were able to connect the two!
Heidi

Return to “Historical Fiction”