Official Review: Life Before by K.L. Romo

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kia
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: "Churchill's Assassin" by John Righten

Official Review: Life Before by K.L. Romo

Post by Kia » 30 May 2016, 08:17

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Before" by K.L. Romo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Before by K.L. Romo is a captivating story that transports the reader (literally) through space and time to experience the lives of Dallas prostitutes in the beginning of the 20th century. Elaine Grace Dearborn put her dreams of being a writer on the back burner to raise her kids. But now that her sons are grown, her excuses are running thin. When she finally sits down to start writing, she is sucked through her laptop to experience a world she had never even known existed. Suddenly she is experiencing first-hand the life of Eliza Genevieve Darling, an ex-prostitute who resides at The Virginia K. Johnson Home & Training Centre for Women. The Centre was created as a way for prostitutes to leave “the life” and gain an education and alternative employment, and Eliza is determined to help as many women leave prostitution as possible. But Elaine will soon come to understand that life was not always as good to Eliza as it is at the Centre. Through multiple trips to the past, Elaine will experience Eliza’s life, from the time she was a little girl right through to the night she was viciously attacked by a client. At least Elaine now knows what to write her novel about, but why does she feel such a connection to Eliza?

K.L. Romo has blurred the lines between the past and the present in a masterful way in this novel. While the plot does tend to jump between dates and characters quite a bit, it never takes more than a few sentences for the reader to understand where they are within the story. However, there were a few cases of repetition that resulted from this jumping around; where a part of the story was repeated almost word for word in order to get the reader on track again. While the repetition might be necessary, the fact that the wording is almost identical makes those particular paragraphs rather frustrating to read.

Taking on a subject as touchy as prostitution is no easy task. The way that Romo describes prostitution repeatedly throughout her novel as a form of slavery shines a brand new light on a centuries old practice. Throughout the book, the reader gets to experience the different forms of prostitution occurring within Dallas at the beginning of the 20th century. From the poor crib whores, tricked and stolen away from their homes and forced into cells to service men day and night, to the prostitutes of the fine establishments on Emma Street, many of whom chose the life on their own. The motivation to partake in the life is also explored in great detail. While some of the whores were forced to the life, many chose it on their own. The main driving factor for this within Life Before is the desire to feel empowered to determine one’s own fate, which is something that many people can relate to.

The characters are complicated and real in a way that prostitutes are rarely portrayed. For the most part, their backstories are heartbreaking, and their experiences and feelings are relatable. What is really fantastic is that the novel actually goes back further to show the characters as young girls, to really make the reader understand where they come from and why they choose to do what they do. The novel is written in a way that makes the characters more complicated and relatable as is goes on. This is accomplished by jumping around in the storyline rather than writing the whole thing chronologically. Even Elaine becomes more complicated of a character as she continues to travel to the past and experience Eliza’s life.

Overall I would rate Life Before 4 out of 4 stars. This is a can-not-put-down kind of story that makes the reader think about the multiple sides of human nature. The plot is engaging and the characters are complex and relatable. This book would appeal most to a mature person interested in novels about human nature and societal double standards. Due to some very graphic scenes, I would not recommend this novel for a younger audience.

Life Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Kia's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

klromo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by klromo » 04 Jun 2016, 08:16

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Kia! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!

Kia

Post by Kia » 04 Jun 2016, 10:18

klromo wrote:Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Kia! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!
I absolutely loved it! I was hooked within the first page and didn't want to put it down.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

klromo

Post by klromo » 05 Jun 2016, 08:55

Yay!! And so sorry about the repetition of that one section that you mention - it was an editorial error that was unfortunately not caught when it should have been. It was fixed shortly after release, but not before you received your copy. But no longer an issue!

Kia

Post by Kia » 05 Jun 2016, 12:17

klromo wrote:Yay!! And so sorry about the repetition of that one section that you mention - it was an editorial error that was unfortunately not caught when it should have been. It was fixed shortly after release, but not before you received your copy. But no longer an issue!
Oh excellent! I was actually surprised to see that repetition since the book was so well written otherwise. I'm glad it was caught :)

The Antelope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-antelope.html

Post by The Antelope » 05 Jun 2016, 12:36

The con of repetition aside, I wouldn't mind taking a trip back in time by reading this story. The 4/4 rating must mean that this read is excellent. I enjoy reading about writers whose story isn't about writing their first or their next book, but one takes them on awesome adventure or puts them in a couple of dire situations. Fine reviewing Kia!

Kia

Post by Kia » 05 Jun 2016, 15:01

The Antelope wrote:The con of repetition aside, I wouldn't mind taking a trip back in time by reading this story. The 4/4 rating must mean that this read is excellent. I enjoy reading about writers whose story isn't about writing their first or their next book, but one takes them on awesome adventure or puts them in a couple of dire situations. Fine reviewing Kia!
Thank you! This book certainly took me on an adventure far beyond what I had bargained for. I love it when a book can do that.

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1956
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 05 Jun 2016, 21:43

A story that transports the reader (literally) through space and time? Sounds like quite an adventure. I am glad you enjoyed the story overall. Thank you for the great review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Book Charmer
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 05 Jun 2016, 22:08

Great review! The story sounds quite unique. Congrats to the author on receiving a glowing review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Kia

Post by Kia » 05 Jun 2016, 22:15

Thank you gali and bookowlie :)

literarycat
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat » 06 Jun 2016, 08:12

Wow great review and seems like a great book. I was hooked from your summary of the book. Sounds like it is a book right up my alley.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Kia

Post by Kia » 06 Jun 2016, 13:06

literarycat wrote:Wow great review and seems like a great book. I was hooked from your summary of the book. Sounds like it is a book right up my alley.
Thank you! It is a fantastic book, you should most certainly check it out!

Insomniac07
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: "Sword of Dragonblood" by L. S. Goulet

Post by Insomniac07 » 07 Jun 2016, 02:07

Great review! The book sounds amazing and your review definitely has me wanting to read the book.
Latest Review: "Sword of Dragonblood" by L. S. Goulet

Kia

Post by Kia » 07 Jun 2016, 09:02

Insomniac07 wrote:Great review! The book sounds amazing and your review definitely has me wanting to read the book.
Thank you!

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Before the Devil Breaks You
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Solar Coaster by Yi Ou
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 08 Jun 2016, 01:22

Wonderful review, Kia! I saw this one and was debating on choosing it as one of my book reviews because the overall summary intrigued me. It seems like a very interesting read and one that might shed some light about women who are prostitutes.

Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :D
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Latest Review: Solar Coaster by Yi Ou

Return to “Historical Fiction”