Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Kingdom's Cost" by J R Tomlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical fiction is an incredibly mixed bag when it comes to enjoying a book. Some books feel like grade school history class all over again and others feel like a more realistic Lord of the Rings. On a scale of passed-out-studying school child to Frodo Baggins, James Douglas - the lead character of A Kingdom's Cost - feels like a mix of both Frodo himself and Aragorn, having to shoulder a weight a young "lad" never should have to while outwitting and out-fighting foes, dealing with the pain and guilt of war and doing his best to defeat an evil in his land that has no concern for honor - the evil Edward Longshanks. Also like Lord of the Rings, this is book one in a trilogy, but the ending is definitely worthy of finishing a book and not just needlessly breaking one book into three to make it a trilogy.

A Kingdom's Cost begins shortly before William Wallace was mercilessly tortured and slaughtered. If that name sounds familiar, you probably watched Braveheart with Mel Gibson, a brutal tale that follows a Scottish rebellion against the British King Edward Longshanks (Edward I). A Kingdom's Cost instead follows James Douglas, who was sent to Paris to be safe shortly before his father was thrown in a dungeon to be starved to death. Upon returning to Scotland he discovers just what a mess everything has become: although he's now Lord of Douglas, his lands have been given away because his father, the previous lord, was considered a traitor. Even worse, English have been doing all sorts of horrible things - raping women as they see fit, killing innocent people just to make a statement and ruthlessly torturing and murdering every major traitor they manage to capture alive. Longshanks also flies the banner of the dragon, flown only when no quarter would be given to any taken enemies. Since Wallace's public and terrifying death, there are hardly any Scottish that would dare oppose Longshanks, and those that do must not only war against him but fellow Scots that are loyal to England as well.

Despite the staggering odds and difficulties they know they'll face, there are some who rise up against Longshanks, led by Robert de Bruce, crowned King of the Scots. Along with the king's brother Edward de Bruce, James's friend Sir Robert Boyd and others, they must find safety, raise troops, get supplies and fight back against numerous foes to make Scotland independent once more.

I was a little leery at first reading a book involving William Wallace, I'd assumed it was just going to tell the same tale Braveheart told from a fictional character's point of view. Instead, this was an epic adventure from having to find a cave to hide in and foraging for food to working to get James's land back, it really had it all, and even James is a genuine historical character. There's romance, there's the impatience to fight and the darkness that comes with battle, the pain of making the hard decisions, romance and there's a lot of adversity from everywhere. Every setting comes to life and every pain is felt, including one of the saddest moments I've read in a long time. There's also great vocabulary thrown about like "mayhap" and "tottery" and "wroth", it all ends up giving a sense of being there without it being overbearing or confusing (especially since Kindle's word defining tool almost always succeeded and there's a dictionary in the back of the book for terms as well).

To stay true to history, the book skips several months at a time a few times, especially at the beginning (the prologue is almost 4 years before chapter 1!), but scenes are set well and it's never jarring. In fact, because the book jumps when it does we're spared the less interesting bits, instead able to visit only the pieces only relevant to the story. By the end of the book, James is 19, meaning that the early chapters kick off at 16, very young for such a lad to have to own up to such heroism and bravery.

I was unable to put A Kingdom's Cost down as I read it, and I miss the adventure even now as I wrap up this review, wondering what's going to happen next and how they'll ever beat such insurmountable odds. I'd be crazy not to give the book 4 out of 4 stars, even though it could've used some editing work. I was hard pressed for flaws aside from the grammatical errors, honestly all I wish was that the "Scottish and Archaic Words" section was in the front so it would be easier to reference. It was awesome that J.R. Tonkin included a brief section noting the leeway he played with in regards to historical accuracy involving one event as well. Anyone with a love of sword fighting, history, rooting for an underdog or Scotland itself should give it a read (unless they're under 18, there's a tiny bit of explicit talk, a little sex and some gore).

A Kingdom's Cost
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
JRTomlin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JRTomlin »

Thanks! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it. :)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I am so glad you enjoyed the book. I almost picked it to review but was worried about the William Wallace connection too. The book sounds like a great read and a lot of fun. Congratulations to the author!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love the book already :) I saw the movie Braveheart and it's one of the best films I've seen so far. I also read Lord of the Rings and this books seems as enjoyable as those. Great review. Congratulations to J R Tomlin on such an obviously well written book.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This is a fascinating topic and it sounds like the author did a great job of making the fictional piece be as true-to-life as the nonfiction reality likely was.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
JRTomlin

Post by JRTomlin »

I wonder if I need to change the blurb to make it a bit clearer that about 95% of the novel takes place after the martyrdom of Sir William Wallace. It's something I will think about. Thanks again for the great review. :)
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

bluemel4 wrote:Fantastic review! I am so glad you enjoyed the book. I almost picked it to review but was worried about the William Wallace connection too. The book sounds like a great read and a lot of fun. Congratulations to the author!
That was my biggest concern too when I saw it, but I love historical stuff so I gave it a shot, and was so happy I did because it's a very different tale even though it's the same time period and same war. It's such an interesting one that I assumed the protagonist was entirely fictional until the end!

-- May 8th, 2016, 10:21 am --
JRTomlin wrote:I wonder if I need to change the blurb to make it a bit clearer that about 95% of the novel takes place after the martyrdom of Sir William Wallace. It's something I will think about. Thanks again for the great review. :)
You're most welcome, thanks for the great book! And I honestly don't remember, but I think in my own mind at least I jumped to the assumption. Now all I can think of is a situation like Kylo Ren telling Vader's helmet that he'll finish what he started, but with it being said to William Wallace.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
JRTomlin

Post by JRTomlin »

Thank you!

I do think that you couldn't make up a more amazing tale than that of Sir James Douglas. I tried to do it justice and make it as fascinating as it is in my imagination. As you say, not a dry textbook recounting but trying to see how they must have been with each other, what kind of people they were, and how living such a life of constant danger and loss as well as loyalty and friendship must have affected them. :)

Douglas is such a rarity that he is one of the few people of the period in any country of whom we have a physical description. (It just wasn't usual to physically describe people in chronicles, etc) A translation of a description written a few years after his death:

"But he was not so fair that we

Should praise his looks in high degree.
In visage he was rather dark;
His hair was black, so I heard say,
His limbs were finely made and long,
His bones were large, his shoulders strong,
His body was well-knit and slim
And those say that set eyes on him,
When happy, loveable was he,
And meek and sweet in company,
But those with him in battle saw

Another countenance he wore!"

The English called him the Black Douglas because of his black hair and because he used what they considered unfair tactics--we would call it a guerilla war. I was so taken with the idea that he had a 'countenance of war' that I used that as a title for the second novel in the trilogy.

Sorry, but you have to be careful giving Historical Fiction authors the opportunity to wax 'lyrical' about their favorite period and people. :lol2: :roll:

Edit: Is it all right to mention that I am having one of the Amazon Kindle freebies for the next few days? So you can pick it up free if it sounds interesting. It is usually $4.99 for Kindle. ;)
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

Well done, Tomlin. Historical fiction writers must FIRST research (a lot!) before they write the first word. That "little" fact is missed by most readers. :D
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You got me with "realistic Lord of the Rings", as I loved the trilogy. A Historical fiction revolving around the life of James Doug , a Scottish rebel, sounds intriguing. The combination of an epic adventure, a relatable protagonist, and sword fighting should make it a great read. That the ending isn't open is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
K23
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by K23 »

I have never read a historical fiction and this review has definitely made me crave to read this book. 😍
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I'm not very fond of historical fiction but I'm always up to reading books that will stir up my emotions and this one sounds like it will. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book.
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

I'm very interested in reading this as I am of Scottish descent and know a bit of the history. Thank you for specifying that the book isn't about William Wallace and I'm looking forward to reading more of Robert de Bruce. Great review, thank you!
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
Adamabir
Currently Reading: Preserving Hope (The Aliomenti Saga #2)
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamabir.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Adamabir »

I have read the first five books of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which I loved very much. How the reviewer judge the book makes me yearn to read it despite of the absence of fire-breathing dragon and cold-hearted white walkers.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

If this book is anywhere near the great Braveheart, then this is worth reading. Congrats!

Return to “Historical Fiction”