Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Post by Samy Lax »

This book promises an epic adventure. It reminds me of the magic of Gibson’s Braveheart, and that’s more of a recommendation from me than anything else.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The twists and turns in the story make it very interesting. The author is able to keep the reader glued to the pages through his ability to develop his characters in a brilliant manner. British King Edward Longshanks (Edward I) sounds like he has a merciless soul. Thanks for the detailed review.
Suzan Fred Abel - 16
Favorite Author: Belle Ami
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 48
fav_author_id: 24819

Post by Suzan Fred Abel - 16 »

Thanks to J R Tomlin for the interesting book, about the history of Scotland. Im not interested in reading historical fiction books ,still its good to read about the great adventure of the novel. Ending of the story has a positive end. Giving the readers a Scottish feel on the book. Thanks for taking us to Scotland through the book. Its exciting to continue to read.
Torypee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Torypee »

If the review is so mouth watering,the book I'm sure is downright addictive, even more than football 😁. I love the vocabulary and the whole detailed historical events, even making it known that events were skipped...wow, What a writer!
This book has got me thrilled, especially the inclusion of romance and the fact that James is so young....it's all just so exciting 🤗.
Marvellous, marvellous art work! Incredible!
juhkong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by juhkong »

The review was a thorough one, but what makes it good for me are the pieces it brought together. I am green to the Tomlin books, however I do enjoy a healthy historically based novel. I have not, shockingly enough, ever seen the movie Braveheart. I am familiar with how these novels are supposed to flow. I feel it has an engaging story line with plenty of support from multiple resources, yet lacks the initial finesse I typically get from books with this particular angle. I would continue the trilogy, if I were unfamiliar with the genre I do not believe I could say the same.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

This sounds like a fantastic read! I love it when the fiction has some factual basis in history. Usually after I read a book like this, it leads my curious brain to search out some of the actual history! Instead of doing that at the end of this book, I will watch for the next in the series.

Congrats on being the book of the day!
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Doesn't really capture my interest but would be great for those who enjoy history with your fiction. I'm just not that into history.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I do remember the name William Wallace from the movie Braveheart, which I love. Although it was told from a fictional point of view, I still learned a little bit about the history of Scotland from that movie and know that I will enjoy reading this book. Your analysis of the story was full of detailed information that gave me a glimpse of the characters, plot, setting and a brief history lesson on the subject. I will definitely add this book to my want to read shelf.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Book lover26 »

The author obviously but alot of thought and research into this book. Can't say iv ever watched braveheart nor lord of the rings. Although you make thus book sound good, its really not for me, iv never been able to sit and read historical fiction. Great review tho
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Though I like historical fiction , but I am not interested in this type of book. But your review is thorough.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
solanaphillip800
Favorite Book: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solanaphillip800.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by solanaphillip800 »

I love historical books, and this would also join the collection. great review
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I ha e a soft spot when it comes to historical fiction, and this book lived up to those standards. Wonderful work!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Braveheart is my favorite movie, despite the historical discrepancies. After seeing the film when it first came out, I became fascinated with the real William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. I did a lot of reading about them. So, to say that this book has grabbed my attention is an understatement. Also, historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. It's great to hear that this is well-written, entertaining and interesting. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the detailed and insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Great review! I think it does justice to what seems to be a good historical novel with realistic descriptions and credible characters. I am very curious to see how young James manages to overcome all adversities and help Robert de Bruce claim the Scottish throne. The Black Douglas Trilogy will be on my reading list.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction, especially when it's both entertaining and accurate (hopefully more historically accurate than Braveheart). I also have a soft spot for Scotland, so this book sounds right up my alley. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss

Return to “Historical Fiction”