Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Re: Official Review: A Kingdom's Cost by J R Tomlin

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I enjoy reading historical fiction that is full of adventures, especially if it's well-written like this one. Thanks for the review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

CataclysmicKnight post_i wrote:28 Apr 2016, 19:54 Anyone with a love of sword fighting, history, rooting for an underdog or Scotland itself should give it a read (unless they're under 18, there's a tiny bit of explicit talk, a little sex and some gore).
Spend a little time on Wattpad and you'll be surprised what "under 18's" read about these days :eusa-whistle:
Otherwise, something tells me I'd have a ball reading this one. Yours is one of the best reviews I've read so far! Thank you. :D
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

A very riveting read. That is the case with historical novels which you usually have some backstories about in other sources. This epic story is sure to generate the patriotic feelings in some individuals rooting for heroic personages of their choice. Thanks for your interesting review. I might find space for reading in my schedule.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is a story of many emotional ramifications. The patriotism on both sides will be relived again by the people concerned, arousing in them such emotions as to be expected. The novel will be interesting to read leisurely for enjoyment by the world at large. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
paulitfaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulitfaa.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by paulitfaa »

The cause for freedom has turned out to be a generational curse." A kingdom's Cost" seems to be a struggle to achieve freedom by the Scots from the English.The Scot and the Irish today still have to struggle for actual freedom with the Brexit question on table. This is like the story of Robin Hood or the Jacobin in France.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Great review! I liked historical fiction and I'm intrigued to learn about James's tale to protect Scotland.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Great review, thanks for the insight into this book. I agree that historical fiction is always a bit hit and miss with regards to enjoying a book and feeling like you are in a history lesson!
Omilian93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omilian93 »

I'm not really a big fan of historical novels but this one seems really interesting based on your review.Also,I really like watching the movie "Braveheart",and as reading offers more pleasure than watching,I guess this will be a good read.. Thumbs up to the author! :tiphat: :tiphat:
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for this good review! It seems the author did his research well enough to put a subtle spin on historical facts to produce such a thrilling story. The sample was very good, but it doesn't sound like the story has a conclusive end. Good job, Mr Tomlin.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a well-written historical fiction. I did enjoy the movie Braveheart, but good to hear this book didn't just follow the same exact story. Thanks for your informative review!
Anitah kelvis
Currently Reading: The 5-Day Stage Fright Solution
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Anitah kelvis »

As the writer JR.Tomlin keeps us on tension to really want to reach the climax, James Dauglas the scotish freedom fighter is so ambitious to wage a war at his tender age, robert de bruce crown king of scotish if he was active the Scottish resisstance wouldn't have been crushed, on the hand the auther is credited to have organised such a historical storry!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This sounds like an interesting book. Historical fiction is not really my favorite genre but based on your review, I could see myself checking out this book. It seems like a very fun adventure. Thanks for your review.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Wow. This book sounds amazing. I read your review and the ones in Amazon and tbh, it piqued my curiosity. I'm definitely going to read this. Kudos!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

You do an amazing job of making this book sound fantastic. I don’t read a lot of historical fiction, but his definitely sounds fantastic. Thanks for writing a review!
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A historical fiction compared to lord of the rings and closely with the movie Braveheart but more exciting? Count me in for this one and thank you for the free book download. I bought it as soon as I could. Let the adventure begin.

Return to “Historical Fiction”